Manual Center Axle Disconnect | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual Center Axle Disconnect

Cstoliker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
95 Explorer XLT I have flat out given up trying to find a replacement GEM module for my truck. I am just going to use 4x4 manually. I already have done the Brown wire mod so I can engage the T-case with the flick of a switch. The problem is I have to move the selector from 2wd to 4wd to engage the C.A.D. and this bring my malfunctioning GEM into service witch can and does engage the T-case sporadically. Is there a way to manually rig a switch to engage Center Axle Disconnect? Or even turn it into a live front axle?

Seams the C.A.D.s are more trouble then there worth. They work perfectly except when you need them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not quite the how to I was hoping for but the explanation of its operation is just as good. Ill rig one up easy. That gijoecam is just a wealth of knowledge.

Now here is another question. Going manual and without a working GEM I will not have 4wd low and my truck being a manual transmition this is a real pain in the ass. I do not want to swap out my perfectly fine transfer case for one with a manual range selector. So would it be possible to just use a momentary double through double pole switch wired to the shift motor? There would be nothing to stop its rotation when low/hi are engaged except the mechanical stops in the motor witch would let it rotate just a little less then 180 degrees Would letting the sift motor go all the way one direction or the other give me low hi range or would it rotate to far in one direction?

You can try swapping out the front axle for one from a 97 or newer vehicle. But have you tried searching? Cauz I do recall a thread a long time ago about manually controlling the front CAD.

EDIT -- some info here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169186&highlight=CAD+vacuum

WOW!! Talk about digging one up from the archives!!

I have also mentioned that 4x4 Posi-Lok makes one for the CAD on an Expedition/F150 that *might* be able to be adapted to fit the Explorers... But IMHO, the better choice would be the 97-01 front axle swap eliminating the CAD all together. If it was mine, that's where I'd spend my money.

As for the manual range selection of the electronic case... I honestly have no clue. Can't be much help there... sorry. The switch could make the motor move, and with some playing with the wiring of the position sense plate, you could probably rig it up to indicate on the dash using the lights when it's in low and high range (similar to the way it currently feeds back to the GEM)... In fact, the wiring is all there, it's just a matter of rewiring it to do what you want it to manually...

I think it could be done, but I don't know anyone that has...

-Joe

I was thinking of using the position sensors and series of relays to turn on/off LED indicators on the dash. I guess I will be the first then. This project may have to wait till warmer weather though. Snow is flying up hear and temps going wrong side of 0' I suppose I could also use the same position sensors to cut power to the motor when engaged.

The way I see it, disconnecting the CAD is a separate operation then engaging it. There for if I permanently ground the engage diaphragm the CAD should remain locked permanently making it the same as a live axle. I do not believe it would disconnect every time the engine is shut off right? Then I could just use the BWM switch to select 4x4 when needed.

I have a better idea! Go find a 86-89 Ranger or BII and get the "touch drive" electric 4x4 system from one of these trucks, its a stand alone system, the 4x4 computer is mounted under the dash and there is no real "GEM" in these trucks
it uses the same 1350-54 t case shift motor

Now here is another question. Going manual and without a working GEM I will not have 4wd low and my truck being a manual transmition this is a real pain in the ass. I do not want to swap out my perfectly fine transfer case for one with a manual range selector. So would it be possible to just use a momentary double through double pole switch wired to the shift motor? There would be nothing to stop its rotation when low/hi are engaged except the mechanical stops in the motor witch would let it rotate just a little less then 180 degrees Would letting the sift motor go all the way one direction or the other give me low hi range or would it rotate to far in one direction?

Here's a way to do it manually..

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125545

Back