• Register Today It's free!

manual hub conv.

iwannax

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I recently purchased a 1994 explorer knowing that 4x4 did not work. The light would not come on, so after reading up on this site, I fixed the shift motor bushing, and now the lights come on, all cost me $0 :D

But 4x4 still doesn't work and then I did the test for blown hubs by engaging 4x4 and driving 20' or so and jacking the tire up and trying to turn the wheel, the wheel kept turning so the hubs didnt engage.

So now I'm converting to manual hubs and after reading the threads on it, I'm pretty comfortable with it, but I just want to make sure these are the right parts:
Dana 44 Spindle Nut Kit 28068X (2x)
Warn 29071 Standard Manual Hub Kit

Is there anything else I need?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy a 4 prong socket for the new nuts (same that is on a dana 44)..

Borrow the big socket to take off the auto hubs. no need to buy the socket if your getting rid of the hubs..

Otherwise, you have listed what you need to do the conversion.

~Mark

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think I already have the socket, so I'll go ahead and order those and switch them over.

Thanks!

Almost forgot. I've "READ" that the 37780 hub which is for a Jeep rear (full floater) dana 35 will also work. There are a few sites that talk about it. That hub is supposed to be stronger and is slightly more.. (still < $200)..

Not sure if its needed, as I haven't read much about it on here yet...

~Mark

I dont need the stronger hubs. I just need 4x4 to get to where I need to be in the snow, and to be able to have a chance of getting up my steep driveway in the winter. I dont do any wheeling whatsoever and the stock replacement would be good enough for me, I just need something thats dependable.

Before buying manual hubs I'd take yours off, clean and inspect them. Probably just need some TLC. Clean them good with gas then dry them out then soak them in ATF. Wipe the excess off and put them back on. If you don't see broken parts they are probably ok.

Well the auto hubs looked ok, there wasnt any broken pieces or excess grease, but I want something thats more dependable. So yesterday I installed the new warn hubs. I followed THIS exactly.

Now when I turn on 4x4, the front tires spin, and I realized this is going to be hard to get stuck. Haha I went through mud up to the axle and it just trucked through it. But other than that the only things I would use 4x4 is to get out of snow and the occasional muddy driveway.

Thanks for everything!

NICE! easy swap, and now you have dependability.
Now you can easily push the button for 4W High a few times a year to exercise the Shift motor even when on hard black top. Even when you don't need the 4WD it's good to let those parts move and do what they do.

Back