• Register Today It's free!

manual hub question

live2_4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Kamloops British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I have a question regarding the hubs on my 94xlt. First of all I replaced the auto hubs with warn manual locking hubs. Now I want to know will I harm anything if on a snowy forest service road I was to lock the hubs at the beginning of the road and turn on/off 4wd as needed? Does it cause extra wear on front end parts or not? :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shouldn't do any damage at all.

"Does it cause extra wear on front end parts or not?"

Anytime the front end is spinning it's technically "wearing." The question is, how many miles is the front end allotted. I haven't seen any data on how many miles the D35 is supposed to be good for, but I've not heard of one "wearing out" from overuse like you're proposing.

On the other hand, I have heard of cases where the D35 was wore out from lack of use. One case I heard of: Someone had seen a R&P from a D35 that he figured had never ever been engaged. The part of the ring gear that was immersed in the oil was essentially brand new (might have even still had marking compound when the installer was installing the R&P and checking the wear pattern -- can't rmemeber). The part of the ring gear that was above the gear oil was rusted.

Anyway, just a long way of saying you'll be just fine. And you won't get your feet as wet/snowy/muddy from getting out to unlock the hubs all the time.

Thanks

Thanks, I guess it was obviously a newbie question but at least now I know!
Thanks again
Glen :thumbsup:

Yep your fine. Thats what I do and everyone else I know does.

hubs

MrShorty said:
"Does it cause extra wear on front end parts or not?"

Anytime the front end is spinning it's technically "wearing." The question is, how many miles is the front end allotted. I haven't seen any data on how many miles the D35 is supposed to be good for, but I've not heard of one "wearing out" from overuse like you're proposing.

On the other hand, I have heard of cases where the D35 was wore out from lack of use. One case I heard of: Someone had seen a R&P from a D35 that he figured had never ever been engaged. The part of the ring gear that was immersed in the oil was essentially brand new (might have even still had marking compound when the installer was installing the R&P and checking the wear pattern -- can't rmemeber). The part of the ring gear that was above the gear oil was rusted.

Anyway, just a long way of saying you'll be just fine. And you won't get your feet as wet/snowy/muddy from getting out to unlock the hubs all the time.
thanks for answering my question also...

Back