• Register Today It's free!

Manual hubs

jester6

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona desert
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 sport
Is there anyway to put manual hubs on a 2000?

I already know about the "brown wire" mod but Im looking for a way to save wear on the front drivetrain on the street.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nope, the 95+ dont have hubs and that drivetrain wear is very neglible

Ditto. Your front end is a full-time front axle. There's no way to disengage it.

-Joe

Yea i knew they have a full time hub, was hopin that someone made a conversion.

It wouldn't do much good even if someone did. The Borg-Warner 44-05 transfer cases aren't designed to allow a whole lot of slippage when disconnected, so even with teh brown wire mod and disconnected hubs, the front axle and driveshaft assemblies would still tend to want to turn. I suspect it's a part of the reason they got away from the center-axle disconnect on the front axle for '97.

Now, that being said, I've *heard* that they make a kit for the Rangers that will convert the auto-lockers to manuals (on the post-95 trucks). In theory, you *might* be able to retrofit a set of hubs and/or spindles from a Ranger onto the Explorer, then retrofit the vacuum-actuated hub-locks with the manual ones, but I honestly couldn't say for sure.... There was some talk about it around here a while back, but I don't know that anyone actually tried it.

Also, even if it worked, with the 44-05 t-case, the gains would be negligible anyways. If you swapped the t-case out for a 1354 like many have done, and add the manual hubs off the Ranger, then you would be able to do what you proposed. The front axle would stop turning when everything's disengaged.

Like I said, it's all theory... but possible.

-Joe

Yea I got a feeling a transfer & tranny swap will be coming next year. Only reason Id like to have manual hubs is to extend the life of the front drive train.

On a daily driver, things like cv joints would last a lot longer.

Mine are going on 108k on the originals... I don't wheel it hard, but I don't baby it either. I've had it on the frame in the mud, and I've stop-light-dragged it since it was new. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself!!)

-Joe

It would be cheaper to replace your parts and save yourself a headache instead of trying to do that. Swap to a SAS and lock, unlock your hubs all you want. I got 138k on the original stuff, no problem what so ever

Back