• Register Today It's free!

Manual Liftgate Won't Stay Up

NavigatorV8

Reaction score
City, State
Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer LTD 2016
my tailgate lifts are lost in pressure, i need a new set. I´ll take the chance to purchase an extension kit, because the tailgate opened not high enough. Anybody knows a solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Power liftgate or manual?

it manual. But maybe anyone converted a explorer to an OEM power lift kit?

my tailgate lifts are lost in pressure, i need a new set. I´ll take the chance to purchase an extension kit, because the tailgate opened not high enough. Anybody knows a solution?
I haven't heard of "extensions" for these. I'm sure there must be a limit to how far it can open.

Peter

I haven't heard of "extensions" for these. I'm sure there must be a limit to how far it can open.

Peter

I'm sure it can open 270 degrees. Question is will it close again after that...

The last sentence in my post above answered this question.
That's what I thought as well until I read his own quote which seemed ask about converting it to a power liftgate.

Peter

That's what I thought as well until I read his own quote which seemed ask about converting it to a power liftgate.

Peter

Right, which you cant do, thats why I had said, you cant do it. Am I missing something?

You will have to remove the 4 screws at the bottom, and then pull the inside panel free for access to the mechanism. If the door is stuck closed, you can manipulate the inside panel loose from the door at the top enough to gain access to work the linkage by hand. It is not fun, but can be done without ruining anything. You may have to get some new 'christmas tree' plastic fasteners if the old ones are too distorted to work.

You will have to remove the 4 screws at the bottom, and then pull the inside panel free for access to the mechanism. If the door is stuck closed, you can manipulate the inside panel loose from the door at the top enough to gain access to work the linkage by hand. It is not fun, but can be done without ruining anything. You may have to get some new 'christmas tree' plastic fasteners if the old ones are too distorted to work.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Do you have a 5th gen. in addition to your '02 Explorer? Just curious as the '02 liftgate is likely different than the one in the 2014.

Peter

Back