Manual shifter floor plate dimensions needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual shifter floor plate dimensions needed

Dre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 FPIU
Have just found out that they don't make those floor shifter plates anymore and are completely out... and I need to cover that hole in the tunnel and attach shifter boots to something... if anyone can get me those dimensions it would be great! I have a manual tranny and manual t-case... need to know where to cut holes for the shifters...

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure I understand your situation (whether or not you already have the manual transmission and transfer case in) so this is a guess :

If you already have the manual transmission and manual transfer case bolted to the vehicle, I would take a piece of plywood or cardboard and use that as your template from which you can make your cuts on. Then after you've worked out any binding between the shift and the plywood/cardboard, then transfer the final shape and cutouts to sheet metal (I used an old computer case).

Well come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I'm misunderstanding your question because what I just said is just a little too simple and nothing is ever simple when it comes to Explorers :D

No, it's OK... that's what I thought about after posting that question... I'll just use a piece of cardboard to make a template and cut it out of a piece of sheet metal. I might play a little in order to get the right fit and right location for both of the shifters. My truck came with a 5 speed but no manual t-case... I'm about to install a manual transfer case... I did cut the original plate as it was impossible to remove... didn't really think that I'm gonna have a problem finding a replacement.
thanks,

Dre said:
My truck came with a 5 speed but no manual t-case... I'm about to install a manual transfer case.
Ahh that makes things a little clearer - I thought your vehicle originally came with automatic everything and you're swapping to manual everything.

Dre said:
I did cut the original plate as it was impossible to remove... didn't really think that I'm gonna have a problem finding a replacement.
Woops ;) Did you cut it because the plate wouldnt slide all the way off the shift rod?

But anyway, you shouldn't have a problem making one. It is just a sheet of metal after all :D

I had to cut it since none of the screws would come out. Bottom brackets were all rusted and turned while I tried to remove the screws. Mine came as a 5 speed with electric shift t-case and I'm going to manual shift t-case...

I'm almost positive I found one... better going with original as much as I can...

thanks,

Back