Manual swap Awd Explorer and Boss 302 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual swap Awd Explorer and Boss 302

Greg Wells

Reaction score
City, State
South bend, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer, Eddie bauer
Hello my name is Greg, I'm a proud owner of a 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition with the 5.0L. I live in Mishawaka, Indiana and I work at South Bend Clutch. Been there about 14 years off and on. I'm one of the diesel pick-up truck (Cummins, Powerstroke, Dirty-max) technicians/salesman. I've been curious about doing a manual swap on my truck, and also my step dad has a 69 Shelby Fast Back just sitting around, the unibody needs a stretch welded up on it. But pretty sure he has a Boss 302 sitting on the garage floor. It needs give through completely, thought that'd be a nice project for my son and I, then toss the manual on with it. Don't know how it'd work with the AWD, or if I need to go 4x4. Came to the internet for some guidance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might have issues with exhaust manifolds. What’s the pattern on the Cleveland heads like?

The AWD would be fine, depending on the transmission used.

Welcome Greg W. It is possible that the big square headed engine on the floor is the 351 Cleveland out of the Shelby and if that is the case the Shelby as a whole would be worth a lot more keeping it with it. BOSS 302 heads and Cleveland heads look a lot alike.
If the Shelby is in the way, let me know. :cool2:There is a lot of collective wisdom on this site and a lot of friendly people on here from the U.S.A. and beyond. Again, welcome ! Greg G.
:burnout:

LOL

Yes there is a 5 speed the can go into your Explorer, the M5OD R2, it is fouind behind the 4.2L V6 in the F150
It will bolt up to your 302
You will want to use a F150 transfer case and ditch the explorer full time AWD
You will also need some computer tuning to remove the automatic transmission controls from the Explorer PCM

Do not try to put a BOSS 302 in your explorer, keep that engine with the Stang!
Your GT40p explorer engine is worlds apart from that old 69 small block.

I once built a bogus boss 302 for a bronco the two barrel heads are the way to go for four wheel drive the four barrel heads ports are so big that you get no low end flow the engine I built ran really good but I put a top loader four speed behind it and first gear was way too high that engine would require some major modifications to fit with air conditioning in a bronco II or first gen x
roscoe

Welcome Greg W. It is possible that the big square headed engine on the floor is the 351 Cleveland out of the Shelby and if that is the case the Shelby as a whole would be worth a lot more keeping it with it. BOSS 302 heads and Cleveland heads look a lot alike.
If the Shelby is in the way, let me know. :cool2:There is a lot of collective wisdom on this site and a lot of friendly people on here from the U.S.A. and beyond. Again, welcome ! Greg G.
I don't believe it's a Cleveland. I had a 78 Bronco with the 351 mod and my girl had her 76 with the Windsor, we were all about those back in the day. I'm fairly certain it's a 302, not 100% if it's the boss tho. My stepdads brother is an amazing engine builder, I've seen him get more power off pump fuel only, than a lot of these guys out here tuning their stuff with laptops, and programmers. And that's who built the engine for him years ago, now it's just a 500lb paper weight in the garage. Lol

LOL

Yes there is a 5 speed the can go into your Explorer, the M5OD R2, it is fouind behind the 4.2L V6 in the F150
It will bolt up to your 302
You will want to use a F150 transfer case and ditch the explorer full time AWD
You will also need some computer tuning to remove the automatic transmission controls from the Explorer PCM

Do not try to put a BOSS 302 in your explorer, keep that engine with the Stang!
Your GT40p explorer engine is worlds apart from that old 69 small block.
That's exactly what I was looking for, somebody who knew what tranny would bolt right up. I was looking in my clutch bible and figured one from a 4.6 or possibly the 4.2 if it wasn't gonna come from a 5.0 f-150. Thanks for the response.

use the 5.0 clutch, flywheel I am pretty sure the starter also
You will need to tune/flash the explorer PCM to forget the auto trans functions otherwise the engine will not run correctly at all

I will
Thank you, I'm gonna find out exactly what it is and get back to you. It just so happens it is in the way, so to speak. Lol by the time the offer was made tio me a few years back, I had already gone through a small workers comp settlement, and had just bought my motorcycle with what money I had left. Otherwise that car would've been mine. Lol The chassis rolls last iI knew and was in excellent shape. It's painted Ford blue with two wide racing stripes. The only thing is it's the first year of the unibody, and a small stretch of it needs welded in. Evidently it's harder than it sounds. I've had some buddies who are pro welders look at it and they wouldn't do it. I can weld but I'm no expert by any means. I think whatever it's made of is dangerous to weld. Again I'll get details and let you all know.

Welcome Greg. It wasn't clear which vehicle you were posting to build, I'd save the Mustang too if you are up to another project. The 69/70 Mustangs are my favorite body style, I've owned one but never finished it. The new Mustang that is similar outside I would buy in a hard beat if I had the need and money. Figure out what engine you have there, the real Boss 302 heads are worth good money alone. The 69 had the largest intake valves ever put in any V8, 2.25", and the 70 had the identical 2.19" valves like all other 4 barrel Cleveland's. Those heads cannot be used in an Explorer, the exhaust ports are way too different and the front accessories won't bolt on.

The 98-01 Explorer V8's are the best SUV's Ford has made, IMO. The 302 engine is more reliable than any other Ford has built. So stick with that, there's lots to do with it internally. The guys here have already given you great tips and links to all the information you will need to put a manual in it. The exhaust is hell/horrible, stock is pitiful and aftermarket replacement choices suck. Find someone who can build an exhaust for you, that's the only real good choice. You can spend countless hours reading about it, but that's the bottom line.

Enjoy your new project, you'll love it I'm sure.

pictures ?

Back