• Register Today It's free!

Manual Torque converter lockup

tanbuddy

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I have a lockup switch on my 2000 explorer with the 5r55e tranny. Is the torque converer solenoid pulse with modulated or is always on when the converter locks.
The switch i hooked up works good, but if its gonna mess up the solenoid im gonna have to figure out a way to deal with the pulse with if it has it
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is pulsed and changes according to load, lower hyd pressure for light load, higher for heavy load. Easier on the torque converter. If you connect a volt meter you can see the changes.

Hmm it changes the voltage with load thats interisting. Is the computer controlling the duty cycle of the ground to make the voltage change? So at wot is should read 12v or so, and less just putting around? Ill have to check it out and see how it changes with driving.
Would it hurt it to just put ground it out with a simple switch then like on the a4ld? It works good the few times ive used it so far but i dont want to burn up the solenoid.

--The computer works on the negative side of the solenoid, as engine torque goes up the computer will lower the voltage to about 1 volt as the engine torque decreases the voltage will go up reducing the hydraulic pressure on the torque converter piston. I don't think you will hurt the solenoid but you may shorten the life of the torque converter by having full torque converter pressure all the time. What is your reason for doing this?
Check voltage on negative side of solenoid, positive side will be same as alternator output.

Ill check the voltage near where the wire goes into the pcm, that should be the negative side, correct? The way i understand how it works is the power goes from fuse box to the solenoid, then up to the pcm for grounding.
I always had a manual trucks before, and i dont like the way the rpms jump around on the highway. Its pretty hilly here, so when i let off down hill it unlocks, then when i go up the other side it wont re lock until the top of the hill. So it runs around 3ooo rpm insted of 2ooo. I think this would get me better gas mileage, at least on the hilly roads in pa.

The trans is free wheeling going down hill in OD so keeping it locked does nothing, then there is the question of more power needed to go up hill with it locked, is there any benefit doubtful, but that's up to you.

Ill give it a shot, with the 4.1 gears and stock tires it should have more than enough power. If it starts to lug ill just unlck it. Thanks for all the help!:thumbsup:

Back