Manual tranny cup holder solution.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual tranny cup holder solution....

doonze

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, Ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 X Sport
For those that don't know if you have a manual tranny and want to have a drink, unless it's a 12 oz can, it's a pain the the a$$. 2nd and Reverse will not go in if you have even a 20oz cup in there, and 4th sits between cups if you have them in there and makes em make noise.

So I had been thinking about modifying the stock cup holders, took the console apart and figured out there is no real easy way to lower it without it looking like crap...

So I had been looking at cup holders, everywhere, and I finally found a duel holder at O'Reily's I liked, and it would have sat between the console and the boot fine, but I didn't have any large drinks to test with and it seemed 2nd and R might still cause a problem with the cups, so I found this single one there also, and am going to try it out. Currently it's just screwed into the carpet, but if it ends up working well I'll get a self tapper and make it more permanent.

For those with an M5 thought I'd share.... I didn't try it with a 32oz, but with a 20oz even though it looks close, 1st and 2nd didn't even get close to hitting it, I think a 32oz will work in there too just fine....

P1060541.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like how drinks will just fall out of the cup holder. Thanks Ford! That was one retarded cup holder design from start to finish.

...That appears to be the same brand as mine......I can truly understand your frustation...This was the first mod I did to my X...
cupholder001dk2.jpg

That's a good idea Doonze. My explorer is auto, I wouldn't make it out of a field with a stick unless it's a tractor.

Did i mention I have dual cup holders? Fat bottom cups may fall out if you have to stop fast, but 'car bottom' polar pops don't have a problem in there.

20oz just fall out of mine on tight corners and excessive breaking :(

I had the same cup holder issue with my old set-up in my `92.

I went the EXPENSIVE route though. I installed a Hurst Billet Plus Short Shifter. Never had a problem!

Ryan

yeah, mines the duel cup holder too, not what like Ted has. Also to tell the truth, I knew the after market shifter would solve my problem too, but the expense isn't worth it, and really I have no need for a different shifter... the stock one works fine for me, except when it comes to drinks.... thanks ford Engineers for that brain child.

what if use the cup holder shift boot from the mid 90's rangers? This is what I put in my old B2 I had.
Posted via Mobile Device

what if use the cup holder shift boot from the mid 90's rangers? This is what I put in my old B2 I had.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmmm... googled em, I would think would be ok if it fit the EX, but man, looks like it's not deep enough to hold much... IDK, maybe it was just the pics I saw...

.....At least you have a cup holder...My 95 ranger Manual does not...I've had to use the armrest box in it since day 1...:(

.....At least you have a cup holder...My 95 ranger Manual does not...I've had to use the armrest box in it since day 1...:(

Yeah, I'd hate that, I can't live without a cup holder anymore, don't know how I ever survived in my first car, a 68 Mustang.. that didn't have cup holder either.... must have been the fact it always had about 4 girls in it willing to hold the cup at any time....(among other things)..... gosh I sure miss that car...

Here is what they look like, they are pretty easy to find in the JY. and they will hold a good size drink. They have a sleave that pulls up for taller drinks, or you can remove the sleave for fatter drinks..(aka Double Gulp) or you can flip the sleave upside down for 12 oz. can extra support;)

Like I said it was the first mod I did to my '88 B2 sence it had no cup holders:(

11998RangerInterior.jpg

or if your lazy I found this one on EBAY:p:
!Bbi1r4w!mk~$(KGrHqUH-CUEqvgeUTkVBKwiS8GZdg~~_12.jpg

http://golffy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/BLTEC75-back-bling-teeth-funny-teeth-bulk-vending1.jpg

^ that one is way over priced and missing the inserts though. This is what the inserts look like though. This one is upside down, but you get the idea.
!Bb(WepgBmk~$(KGrHqIH-CoEquZ7NEfiBKvthZN8CQ~~_12.jpg

...I'm waiting for the twin stick model....:p:

...I'm waiting for the twin stick model....:p:

yeah...I don't think there is one for a manual t-case:( But you could cut the driverside off and make it work. You would only have a passenger cup holder, but that's better then none:D

and my B2 was a manual, with auto case...in a EB:confused:

I like how drinks will just fall out of the cup holder. Thanks Ford! That was one retarded cup holder design from start to finish.

I don't think Americans were as fat back in 92 haha! I have to hold the large to reverse

Back