manual tranny filter system?? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

manual tranny filter system??

Minivek

Reaction score
City, State
Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited Ex silver
Hi all, I've done some searching but havn't found completed projects on installing a filtering system on the M5OD, Since it's auto trans fluid and there are some sensitive parts in there, I thought it might be a nice project. I imagine one would have to install a remote pump.... Any thought on this, or is this a pointless idea?? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
I dont know what that would do to help.

pknopick

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL
I was wondering the same thing... But I think the skill needed to do that is far beyond my abilities. I'd love to know how though. And what about additional cooling? A cold tranny can't hurt.

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
It's a manual transmission. It's basic.

No need to clutter it up any with the use of a remote fluid pump that it doesn't need. The oil temps will never get too hot, therefor adding a cooler to it is ALSO useless.

I've rebuilt the M5OD (how many people here can say that?) It's not difficult. In all actuality, it's a Mazda re-engineered version of the T-5!

Oh yeah....a cold tranny CAN hurt....it's called optimum operating temperatures. Too hot, or too cold cause different, but equally bad and costly damages. Cold aluminum, steel, brass, and bronze breaks a bit easier than warmed aluminum, steel, brass and bronze.

Leave the manual transmissions alone. Leave it. Alone.

Ryan

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
I can say that i have rebuilt one. Its not hard.

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
Burns....you know what I meant....honestly, we are probably 2 out of MAYBE 5-7 people on here that have actually opened up a M5OD, pulled it apart, inspected it, replaced the parts that needed to be, and put it all back together.

Ryan

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
Burns....you know what I meant....honestly, we are probably 2 out of MAYBE 5-7 people on here that have actually opened up a M5OD, pulled it apart, inspected it, replaced the parts that needed to be, and put it all back together.

Ryan

Oh i was just saying that it was easy. I got whay you said. I agree. :thumbsup:

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Minivek

Reaction score
City, State
Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited Ex silver
Pretty much what I thought as well, I'm just looking for new projects to do indoors since we've gotten snow all of last week, and some more will pile on for the next 3 days :(

Thanx guys ;)

pknopick

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL
So the best thing I can do for a manual tranny is change the fluid to synthetic... Less friction, less wear. Other than that, the tranny will survive on it's own? What about a larger oil pan?... I know, LEAVE IT ALONE!

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
Burns, did you take any pictures of your rebuild?

I didnt have the time to do so. We had to get it going in one weekend and that would have taken to much time. I wanted to do a full rebuild diary on it because there are a few but some are not finished.

I do have a 1354 transfer case that i have tore apart that im getting ready to take a lot of pic of. :thumbsup:

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
okay guys...I have tomorrow off....

I'll go through my pics, and post them in my M5OD re-build thread.

Thanks,
Ryan

zwoobah

Reaction score
City, State
Providence RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo LX 5-spd 4WD
use a good quality fluid and change it often. that's all you have to do. my other cars see time on the road course, and the non-cooled non-filtered manual transmissions hold up just fine to sustained 100+mph work in the heat of the summer.

Bwana Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Morris Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
use a good quality fluid and change it often. that's all you have to do. my other cars see time on the road course, and the non-cooled non-filtered manual transmissions hold up just fine to sustained 100+mph work in the heat of the summer.

How often do you change the fluid? I had my trans overhauled at 150,000 miles because it was hard to shift into 1st, especially when hot. 1-1/2 years later it started getting hard to shift again, so this time I just replaced the fluid with synthetic ATF (Mobil 1) and it got better! Its again getting a little balky, so maybe another fluid change is in order.

Thanks.

Bob

zwoobah

Reaction score
City, State
Providence RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo LX 5-spd 4WD
I change it at least once per season on the go-fast cars. the navajo I'll probably stick with every 30-40k miles. It's cheap maintenance, and not that much more work if you've already got the vehicle lifted up to change the motor oil.

Tony H

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
Just change the fluid ...whenever. A bigger pan may hurt because the gears wont throw the fluid around as per design.

I have 3 vehicles with manual gear boxes ..I change the fluid every 100,000 miles. If you are running through water or very very dusty areas then do it sooner. The simplicity of a manual gear box is also the beauty in maintaining them...almost no maintainence required.