• Register Today It's free!

Manual tranny trouble

spiper

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PIU
I have a 91XLT with a 5 speed manual transmission. I cant hardly shift into 5th OD or reverse without considerable effort. It is also hard to shift out of them. Sometimes 3rd gear acts the same way but not always like reverse and 5th. Any one got any idea why? It just happened from one day to the next. One day everything was fine, the next the above trouble.:confused: :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When was the last time you changed your trans fluid? Have you had the clutch/trans serviced recently? How many miles? Is this the original trans/clutch?

I bought it 4 mos ago, never changed the tranny fluid, its got almost 170,000 miles and as far as I know its the original tranny.:redexp:

I'd say you're probably having problems with the synchros and/or shift fork. Mine was having problems going into 1st and R and then 4th without grinding.

Turned out to be the synchros. While being fixed the shift fork went out (trans would hop out of 1st).

Take it to a reputable shop and have them take a look. Most likely it is time for a rebuild. Be sure to have them put in a new clutch, slave cylinder and throwout bearing while there at it. Shouldn't cost more than $1700 for the whole job.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm just gonna have to take it in and have it looked at.

Well I checked one place they want $2900 for a Jasper rebuilt transmission , new clutch, throw out bearing, slave cylinder etc. Ford dealer couldnt tell me nothing without tearing everything apart "to see what I need", but a minimum of $2000. I think I'll just keep shoving it into gear until I cant any more for a while.:fire:

Some of the ford manual transmissions use automatic transmission fluid such a the Mazda transmission on Ranger trucks. Know which fluid you need and only replace with the correct fluid. I replaced my fluid with 90Wt and it did what you describe to my tranny. I drained and replaced with mercon/dextron and it stuck in cold weather but was otherwise fine. I replaced it again and it is pretty much as if it never happend. I've got 130K on original ranger transmission and clutch!!! I'm sure it will go any time now but it definitely is still working fine. I would suggest you have your transmission serviced. With the manuals it is a drain and fill proceedure. rc

Automatic transmission fluid in a manual? I've never heard of this, maybe I'm just in the dark, but I always thought a manual transmission was packed with grease.:confused:

rjc, you are absolutly right I gotta Mazda-R1 5 speed manual transmission and its filled with Motorcraft MERCON automatic transmission fluid. I'm gonna get it drained and refill it and see what happens.

Oh the MAzda 5 speed does not have a shift fork. It uses an internal hydraulic slave cylinder.

These are prone to fail.
However the tranny's are also prone to fail, especailly when it comes to the synchro's......

Back