• Register Today It's free!

Manual Trans swap

mittelmeier

Reaction score
City, State
Kane,Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I've got a 96 V-8 awd automatic ex that I'd like to convert to a manual transfer case and a manual transmission if there is a 4x4 trans out there that will bolt up to the engine in it without any adapters or spacers. I've got a transfer case out of an f-150 I've got to go look at and make sure it's going to work but I don't know what transmission to use. I'd perfer a 5 speed but a 4 or a 6 either way. My auto is going to need an overhaul soon and instead of going through the hassel of rebuilding it I'd rather swap in a manual. Any input or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The M50D 5 speed transmissions which came in the Explorers will bolt up fine. They did put manual transfer cases in some of the earlier Explorers but they are less common than the manual transmissions.

Don't think it will bolt up behind a 5.0 will it? I was reading on the full size bronco forum, people are swapping in the ZF5 transmission behind the 5.0. They say it's a medium-heavy duty transmission and lives happily behind the 5.0 in the Bronco, can't see why it wouldn't work in an Explorer. Plus, I believe he same transfer case will bolt up I believe. A 4406 ought to work.

If you run anything other than the 4R70W you will need to reflash your computer to clear the auto tranny controls. If you run any other non-obd2 auto tranny, you will have to figure out some sort of kick down.

Your also going to have to figure out how to get duct work to the rear with the shifter in the way if you plan to keep it.

Opps my bad. I didn't read good enough and notice that he has a V8. The M5OD won't bolt up behind the V8. It wouldn't be strong enough for a 5.0L anyway.

James said he can flash the transmission part out of the computer no problem :)

Ahh the duct work, I forgot about that. I hope/plan to do a manual swap when my trans dies.

I can tune around it too:D

Thanks guys. I didn't think the M5OD would hold up to the V-8. The duct work doesn't really bother me because noone ever rides in the back and if need be I can just loose it all together. The guy I'm getting the t-case from should be able to flash my computer for the tranny cause he's done his mustang and a few disiels for different trans. Hopefully I'll have everything gathered up and put in by mid summer since we now have about a foot of snow and I don't have a garage. Thanks again.

The M5OD-R2 from a 4.2L or 5.0L F150 will bolt directly to the Explorer 5.0L and the BW 4406 manual t-case. It also uses a hydraulic clutch which should be easily adaptable to the Ranger/Explorer clutch master cylinder and lines. The R2 is not the best ever but it is an OK transmission. It is much easier to find in salvage yards and way cheaper than a ZF. The only really negative feature is the clutch slave cylinder which lives inside the bell housing and has a sketchy reliablity record.

Why not just yank a T45 from a Mustang? You know they can handle the power and torque of a 5.0 and the adapters can't be that expensive.

Why not just yank a T45 from a Mustang? You know they can handle the power and torque of a 5.0 and the adapters can't be that expensive.
Cable clutch, rearward shifter position and no 4x4 extension housing. Not impossible but those would complicate things going into an Explorer.

Back