Manual transfer case from auto tranny to manual? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual transfer case from auto tranny to manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnvosh

Reaction score
City, State
Stony Plain, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
I found a '94 Explorer with an auto tranny in it but a bit of rust and needs an out of province inspection. I offered him $400 but he said $500. Is this a good deal? This is what he said... "Needs a headlight and the driver’s side remote control lock doesn’t work. $500.00 and we have a deal. You don’t get much for $500.00 and this truck has been reliable. It has a bit of an oil leak from one valve cover gasket but not worth bothering with"

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-Ford-Explorer-SUV-W0QQAdIdZ253438748

My question is this; it has a manual transfer case and manual locking hubs. Would I be able to swap the manual hubs and the manual transfer case to my 93 Explorer Sport with a manual transmission? If I can then I might buy it. I should be able to use the brakes, tires, rims, hubs, axles, grill, headlights, wiper motors, rear window, fuel tank/pump, etc. from it. I might also pull the motor from it, take it apart & clean it and replace all the gaskets, etc on it and have it has a spare.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you should have no problem swapping the parts over. You will even have the correct floor plate and all the parts to do it correctly. I would grab it while you got the chance. Manual t-cases are hard to find, especially since you are getting it with all brackets and related components.

I wish I could find one around here...

Do you figure $500 is a decent price for this? Would I have to get a new boot when I install in my '93 sport as it is a manual tranny or would this one work?

You might have to get a new shift boot to properly fit your manual trans. I think LMC sells them. For all the parts you are gettting I think $500 is a fair price. Especially since it's all there and it runs. You could always sell the parts you did not want to keep and make some of your money back.

I would check the VIN to be sure on the year. From the looks of the pics it appears to be a 91-92 model. It has the early interior cloth patterns, the one hole cup holder, and the 12 hole wheels say 1991 to me, but export trucks could have been optioned differently.

Well I've asked him for the Vin. With the VIN will I be able to tell what axle's/ratio's it has and all the options?

If you go to a ford dealer they can look up the build sheet with the VIN and it will tell you what the truck was built with. If you want to know what axles it has without using the VIN, you need the codes off the door tag or the axle tag. I can get you the code meanings if you want to. Have the seller take a pic of the door tag. Hopefully it will be good enough to read. But it may just be easier to use the VIN at your local ford dealer.

I did this to verify a 2 door eddie bauer I bought. The pics looked as if it was clone, but upon having the dealer look up the VIN, i was able to see it was indeed originaly built in the EB trim. EB 2 doors are hard to find, and I wanted an original one. Mine is an early production one and they used the base model seats with "eddie bauer" stitched in the headrests. I had never seen one this way and thought it was a painted XL or Sport with base interior.

Well I decided I am going to buy this one. Hopefully the seller gets back to me! If I can get it today then come spring time I will probably start parting out the parts that I can't use from it. I'll have an A4LD tranny, drive shafts, starter, grill, interior parts all for sale.

Another question.... what is the difference between the starter for the auto and the manual tranny?

Update: I went and checked the vehicle out and it was quite a bit worse than in the pictures. He also had it listed wrong, the build date on the door said 3/90. The rust was so bad on the undercarriage that you would need a torch to get anything loose. The lugs looked like they were probably seized to the rims, the rims were in not very good shape as well. It had an oil change sticker in the window said 221,000 and the odometer said 221,236 and it was done on 03/2010. so it had sat probably for almost a year. Anyways the oil looked black so I don't think the engine was in that good of shape either.

So a no go on the truck? You may still be able to use some parts. I kind of figured it was an early model by the interior.

That sucks, man. If you had a shop and the time to mess with it, it might still be worth it, but sounds like it may be more trouble than its worth. I wish I could find one similar to that one near me. I'd love to have that manual t-case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back