• Register Today It's free!

manual transfer case swap

rednecksoldier

Reaction score
City, State
Loganville, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
hey guys im thinking about swapping my auto transfer case for a manual one as my four low doesnt work anymore. will the bw1354 bolt up to my 1991 ex transmission?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Absolutely. The manual and electric versions of the BW 1354 both use the same extension housing.

cause i looked at some of the threads and the guys on there were saying that the adapter was a little different or something like that.

The only real difference is how the TC is controlled. HOWEVER, there can be some mounting issues for the TC manual shifter. The manual and auto tranny versions are a little different.

so if i get the manual bw1354 for an auto trans and get the adapter to go with it i should be ok right?

Did you replace the shift motor bushing?

no but id rather have a manual t-case

It's up to you, but you could at least have 4Lo for half an hour of work and a short slice of hose. Then take your time gathering the parts for the manual case so you can get it done properly on your own time.

ya im going to install the manual t case this weekend

I'd love to see a how to write up on your project !

ok ya ill get on that im going to pick up the t case tomorrow

good luck ! i want to do the same thing

sadly i have to wait another week till i can buy the t case. gotta get paid.

Please post some sort of write up...I'm about to do the same thing but using the t case from a bronco II. All I should need is the case itself and the shifter, correct?

i'll do a write up tomorrow. i'm gonna be installing my manual t case tomorrow morning.

All the manuel shift t-cases have the shift levers in the same place and the same bolt paterns and will interchange with any all other 1350/1354. But they do have different shift levers. I can provide pics if folks want them. Just send me an e-mail. The thing to watch out for is the correct shifter for the tranny you have. Different transmissions have different tail housings and different shifters were used and matched to the t-case shift lever. So what ever transmission you have in your truck you need a shifter for that Transmission and you need a shift lever on your manuel t-case to match that shifter. All of the 1350 shift levers I have seen are flat and had the pin for the shifter to hook on facing out board. There were at least two lenths. The shift lever for the 1354 have a bend or dog leg to the inside and the pin faces inside so the shifter assy. clears the front output yoke of the 1354.

The only other thing you will need is the shifter boot and base, and if you don't want to try to cut your floor cover plate you can look for one out of a another X or Ranger in a salvage yard

All the manuel shift t-cases have the shift levers in the same place and the same bolt paterns and will interchange with any all other 1350/1354. But they do have different shift levers. I can provide pics if folks want them. Just send me an e-mail. The thing to watch out for is the correct shifter for the tranny you have. Different transmissions have different tail housings and different shifters were used and matched to the t-case shift lever. So what ever transmission you have in your truck you need a shifter for that Transmission and you need a shift lever on your manuel t-case to match that shifter. All of the 1350 shift levers I have seen are flat and had the pin for the shifter to hook on facing out board. There were at least two lenths. The shift lever for the 1354 have a bend or dog leg to the inside and the pin faces inside so the shifter assy. clears the front output yoke of the 1354.

The only other thing you will need is the shifter boot and base, and if you don't want to try to cut your floor cover plate you can look for one out of a another X or Ranger in a salvage yard

so does anyone know if the t case out of an manual 88 Bronco II will fit up correctly?

so does anyone know if the t case out of an manual 88 Bronco II will fit up correctly?

You don't want to use the BW1350 from a BII. It uses a different front output than the BW1354 and is not worth the effort to swap in. Save your $ and keep looking for a 1354 from a Ranger or Explorer.

As for swaping one in the only thing you have to modify is the pan on the floor so the shifter can pass through it. Other than that everything bolts right up, including the stock drive shafts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it will but as was said you will need front driveshaft work so much of the savings will be ate up by that. The shift lever on the side of the 1350 t-case is different also and should be easily changed to the 1354 lever. Unless of course if the 88 BII had a M5OD in it. And your going to use the 2.9 M5OD with the lower first gear. The BII 2.8 M5OD shifter may work on the X 4.0 M5OD but I am not sure and would want to compare the two before doing that. Seems to me it was around that time that they went to the same OAL on all BII transmissions (A4LD, M5OD, and FM146). The 1350 has a snout that sticks out the front and has an internal u-joint. If you are doing a doubler this can sometimes help out with crossmember mods.

You can add Mazda Navajo and B series to the list for available 1354 donners and at some time around 92 or 93 they changed from the 4 planitary gear to the considered stronger 6 planitary gear in the 1354. My 1354M came out of a 93 B-series.

Back