Manual transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual transfer case

Examin

Reaction score
City, State
Black Hills, South Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 91 Explorer with the 4.0 fuel injected V6. I have the automatic/automatic transfer case. I put manual hubs in it, but now my automatic transfer case sucks. I'm wondering if there are any manual transfer case options with my automatic engine.

I go to Probetalk so I know how truly helpful these forums can be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A borg warner 1354 out of the same year range as your truck you have now. It was also in rangers of the same year.

A borg warner 1354 out of the same year range as your truck you have now. It was also in rangers of the same year.

Alright, awesome! Thanks man

Ditto on the t-case... 13-54 manual out of a same-generation Explorer or Ranger will work just fine.

I used to be a member on ProbeTalk back in the day.... Haven't been over there in several years... IIRC, I had my 93 Probe GT from '00 to '02.... Been a while, and I still miss those seats!

Ditto on the t-case... 13-54 manual out of a same-generation Explorer or Ranger will work just fine.

I used to be a member on ProbeTalk back in the day.... Haven't been over there in several years... IIRC, I had my 93 Probe GT from '00 to '02.... Been a while, and I still miss those seats!

Aw man, they're nice. I have a pretty zippy Probe. Put the ZE in it and everything.

Is the manual tcase better in any way?

Is the manual tcase better in any way?

Better in every way ( i think )

Gives YOU control over 4wd, not a computer. No electronic clutches to blow out on you in the middle of the desert 100 miles from home, 50 miles from the nearest town (happened to me)

It also requires you to get a double cardan front driveshaft, if you have a 97 or newer second gen, which, in my opinion, is better than the 97 and newer style with a CV joint.

How hard would it be to mod a 93 Sport with a manual tranny to a manual transfer case?Would the t-case shifter clear the tranny shifter boot?

I think so, but I'm not positive.

Anything can be modded but I'm meaning so I don't have half the shift boot cut off and have to cut the tunnel. Wonder if there's some tunnel pieces that can come off to accomadate it.

How hard would it be to mod a 93 Sport with a manual tranny to a manual transfer case?Would the t-case shifter clear the tranny shifter boot?

Yes the t-case shifter would clear it, it would be right beside your transmission shifter, ex's and rangers came available with manual t-case and tranny combo so there is a specific t-case and tranny shifter boot assembly.

Here is a pic of what it looks like, pic from cb installs 6th post.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176443

Got my manual t-case today! Learned to not drop the transmission brace.. Just want to verify that I don't need the tail piece from the auto tranny that it was bolted to. Will my manual tranny have the holes to bolt the shifter onto?

Anyone? Figure the manual tranny will have the mount holes for the manual t-case linkage and that I didn't need the tail piece off the donor auto tranny the t-case came off..

Back