• Register Today It's free!

manual transmission problems

mitchj

Reaction score
City, State
nashville, tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer
I have a 92 explorer 5 speed. the other day I was driving down the interstate and all of a sudden gears started grinding and the motor died, I started it back up and put it in first and let out of the clutch and it wouldn't move and the motor bogged down like I was taking off but it died. same thing in all gears even in NEUTRAL. anyone have the slightest clue as to what is going on. its like the trucks brakes are locked but they aren't it will roll if the clutch is pushed in while running or if you turn the motor off and leave in neutral. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm no trans expert, but from your description, it kinda sounds like it's stuck in 5th, no matter what gear you try to put it in.

Sounds like a broken shaft. does the truck feel like its trying to move at all when you let the clutch out in any gear or neutral?

Yeah sounds like a problem with the rear end, driveshaft or output shaft in the trans.

I am looking at a 94 that is doing the same thing. Tranny oil got to low and the shifter is somehow stuck between two gears. The owner is a mechanic at the Ford dealer in his town and just does not want to deal with this so he is selling. He even bought another 5sp to go with it. He is sure enough that is what is wrong. Locked up on him going down the eway. Will run as long as the clutch is in. Let the clutch out, it will try to roll a couple inches, and the motor dies.

Sounds to me as though there are 2 gears engaged at the same time. This would cuase the tranny to bind on itself, and would also explain the grinding you heard as the problem happened. Perhaps one of the "collar" gears (not sure the proper name) on one of the shafts is stuck.

Back