Manual Transmission Suddenly Leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual Transmission Suddenly Leaking

Tshark299

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I was just under it a few days ago and everything was high and dry. Today there's ATF everywhere. The transmission is dry until the rear of the main case, where it bolts to the adapter between the transmission and the transfer case. It's wet at that seam, right behind the drain plug, and back almost to the transfer case. The transfer case itself is fairly dry so I don't think that is leaking.

So is there a seal that can suddenly go bad between the transmission case and that adapter housing? There looks to be RTV between those two housings... does that actually hold fluid in or is there a seal on the transmission's output shaft that is actually leaking?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The most common leakage on a M5OD is the shift rail plugs rot out. They are on the top of trans, right behind the shifter. Do a search and you'll find the replacement part numbers, if that's what it is.

I was under the X this evening and noticed the exact same thing. I had some fluid I think the same place you mentioned. However it never "drips", I had no fluid on the ground, but it WAS wet, and I could get some fluid on my fingers. But like I said, not even enough to drip. Going to check it out more later, post up if you get it figured out!

the most common leakage on a m5od is the shift rail plugs rot out. They are on the top of trans, right behind the shifter. Do a search and you'll find the replacement part numbers, if that's what it is.
+1!

I found a few threads and links about the shift rail plugs and will check them out soon. It's kinda on the back burner for now though as I'm waist-deep into an engine swap on my Jeep and also need to replace my t-case shift motor. Thanks for the info though!

I had the same problem and were not able to find freeze plugs of the correct size, as they are 15,5mm holes and the smallest plugs at my dealer/town, here in South Africa are 18mm, so I removed the gearlever cover and metal surround and removed the old plastic/nylon/rubber shift rail plugs, cleaned the area very well with paint thinners and resealed the holes with a 2 pack epoxy putty called Plastic Steel here.No more leaks or smells in the cabin since then-I also drained the gearbox and filled it with ATF marked Mercon on the specs, a Miidas product, as I could not find one marked Mercon outright.Hope this helps as Iwaited 2 months for a front windscreen, and dont know how long Iwill wait for 3 rubber plugs.

Back