Manual transmission swap

91ROKKRAWLER

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Xploder
Help!

So I helped a guy get his ranger running to get a 5 spd from his '91 Explorer 2 door sport. its a (somewhat) complete Explorer. These are the things I know I need.

M5OD
ECM
Starter
Pedal assembly
Master cylinder
Slave cylinder
Pilot bushing
Throwout bearing
Clutch kit
Flywheel
Floor plate
Shifter assembly

So far I know I can get the transmission, pedals, master cyl., slave, I have the clutch, need the flywheel, floor plate, and shifter.

Will my auto ecm work for a while with this transmission?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so i got the trans out. I need a new slave and hydraulic hose though.

Late night EF's...Do i need to pull the pedal bracket or just pull the e clip and pull the pedals themselves?

Just the pedals themselves... I am in the process of the same swap... I have heard that you CAN run the auto ECM w/ a manual trans... but I'm not sure. Any more questions and I will do my best to help you out Rok! Good luck!

Also, check out Rockauto.com for your hydraulic hose and any other parts you might need for this swap. They have been a huge help to me during this PIMA. They are EF approved as well!:salute:

Thanks guys. I spent nearly two days NOT getting the pedals out. Tomorrow it'll take twenty min. Tops! Lol

No sweat! I know EXACTLY what you mean! Check out my retarded dash FAIL when I was trying to install my pedals here. Now I am going to completely re-do the stock dash and see if I can't do something cool. I love this forum and the wealth of knowledge it has to offer! Good luck Rok!

so i got the pedals...

WHAT A B****!!!

for others that look this thread up later, there are 3 10mm bolts on the parking brake assembly. one in the front on the bottom of the dash brace, one in the back near the firewall, one in the VERY top of the bracket.

Then, unbolt the 10mm bolt inside the engine bay on the drivers side firewall that holds the wire squid (its what I call it) in the fire wall. then inside, there are 3 press clips that need to be pushed in, then pull the squid.

Then, there is a E clip on the pedal bracket, follow the rod through the pedals to the passenger side of the rod. unclip that. jiggle, wiggle, and pull the clutch pedal to the drivers side kick panel. when the brake pedal falls, your close, keep pulling. then... TADA, pedals!

How's she runnin'? Is your auto ecu still working out with the manual trans?

i just did the swap a4ld to m50d there is another thread in the forum here very informative
the auto ecu will work my truck had high revs cause the ecu is programmed to load the engine for a torque convertor just the splice the neutral tranny switch to the wire attached to pin 30 at the ecu
we have a strict emissions program here and the idke was to high to pass so i had to locate an ecu for a standard and the truck drives better with the standard ecu.ive heard there isnt much idle difference if you have a 4.0L i have a 2.9

and before you put everything together it might be best if you have the money buy a new slave and if you have the 2.9L go get the 4.0L flywheel and new clutch pack
to fit
I didnt have the money and my clutch pack was used and i didnt know the tranny history
and in a few months ill have to replace the stuff new.Im not looking forward to redoing everything LOL
any questions feel freeto pm me
and read into bench bleeding your master first
lots of great info here on this site
good luck
R

Back