• Register Today It's free!

Manual VS Auto hubs

mhallack

Reaction score
City, State
Rockland, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have automatic hubs on my 94 XLT, as far as I know they are original. Right now they work great without any problems, though I have not had to go into 4X4 much (only had the truck for a year) Should I change over to manual hubs or just keep what I have until they go bad? Just wondering.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd run them until they cause problems. You'll know when that is.
Or, if you have money to burn, get the manuals!

I'd have to agree. If you have the money to swap out for some manuals do it! You'll love them. But if you have other projects in mind for now there's no issue in waiting for the hubs to go out (don't let me jinx you) and putting those dollars else where.

I can't really speak for the auto's, when I got my truck they were already slipping like crazy. I can, however, rave about how great my Warns have been! :thumbsup:

Switch em ! Here's the problem...You will never know when they are going to take a dump. But here is what you can take to the bank...They will take a dump when you need them. I switched my autos over to mile markers...They are great for the type of driving I do...

^ Agreed. The auto-craps blew on our 94 when I had to use 4x4 to pull my 84 BII into the barn. I only had to move the BII maybe 15 feet, but, the autocraps decide to FAIL while under a rolling load, on grass. The good thing about this, is that now, even my wife couldn't argue about switching out what is a fail prone, crappy (honestly, PLASTIC for one of THE most stressed parts) design that Ford cursed the "X" with. No more wondering "will they autohubs engage this time??????". Now, I simply lock the hubs ( get out first, if needed) get in, push the "magic button" ( STILL not a favorite- buttons belong on the RADIO ) pick the needed gear and simply go. No more wondering.

Back