Manual Windows/Locks to Power everything? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual Windows/Locks to Power everything?

Shadow91

Reaction score
City, State
Graham, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer XL
So when i bought my 93 XL the interior was just tore apart.. The dash ripped out.. Radio gone, Door handles broken or missing and half the windows didnt roll down.. I was able to fix one window by just getting a new Handle for it but the window i want more then any other, drivers window, dont work.. After looking into it I found out that the huge gear is actually stripped and has no teeth left.. so I figured just go junkyard diving.. should be easy to find older explorers right? No, wrong! Finding Ex's with manual doors and Windows is next to impossible! So after much consideration and knowing the endless supply of Ex's all over the like 10 junk yards around me, i want to put power windows, door locks, and mirrors into my Ex.. But i dont even know where to begin with this.. How do I get the brackets out of the doors? How do I get the windows out without breaking them? Hw do I do the stuff for the locks? What all wires do i need to get for it? Basically.. how and what do I need to get for this project?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The easiest way to do this is just get entire doors. If your Ex is as in as bad a shape as you say then mismatched paint colors shouldn't be a big deal.

Getting the doors off is fairly simple process and then you don't have to worry about switching glass, etc.

Open the door and remove the interior door panel. There are little push pins (they look like Christmas trees) that you have to pry up on. A small crowbar or flathead screwdriver works pretty well, just be gentle and patient. Once you've pried the door panel off a little remove the two screws that attach the door handle to the inside of the door. Now lift the whole panel straight up and it will be off. The wires inside are still connected though. Remove the electrical clips that attach to the window/lock switches (a small screwdriver works well to pry up the tab, just again, be careful not to break it).

Open the door and there are 2 hinges, top and bottom. Take a socket or nut driver and remove these hinges from where they bolt to the body of the truck. Then you should have an entire door in your possession and the switches for power. Then you can dinker around with pulling out wiring or see if your local parts store can set you up (I believe they can).

Do this four times and voila! Power door conversion!

thanks but I'm not wanting to play around with different color doors.. I have everything except for the inner door panals and my window fixed... The body of my ex is in great shape and the paint isn't bad either.. so that's out of the question

thanks but I'm not wanting to play around with different color doors.. I have everything except for the inner door panals and my window fixed... The body of my ex is in great shape and the paint isn't bad either.. so that's out of the question

Well it's your call but you're making much more work for yourself than if you'd just spray them. Find the color match at Autozone or online. You would even be able to get the jams on the inside to match when you paint them. You'd have much less money and work in that than trying to switch everything over.

Not to mention you said you need new interior panels. The panels for a power door are different so you need to find panels that match your interior anyway. If you take off the panels from the junkyard door and put them on your old door you are doing twice the work.

It's your call man but I really think getting the junker doors repainted is the way to go.

Why not just find doors that are the same color?

It's like as if your trying to replace the filament in a bulb instead of just replacing the whole bulb.

The electric motors are riveted in, so you would have to drill them out for removal. I just did this myself, by swapping whole doors.

The bolts on the door (hinge to door) are a 13mm, a ratchet wrench is the best tool.

My truck was ugly before, so having tan doors on a ugly faded red truck doesn't bother me. It's soon to be primered all over so it'd all match.

There's really only two wires that need power to operate the whole system as I'm figuring this all out myself. It's definately easier if you get the whole harness that operates the windows, locks, and mirrors.

What I found out is my XL didn't have 2 plugs to connect to the EB harness I got. Those two ends got cut and taped out of the way. I changed out my interior at the same time as swapping the harness to make this easier, I went from grey to tan. And it was also easier to have a parts truck to do this. But it is a ***** to have two harnesses routed inside the factory location.

I do know the power windows require a 30 amp relay. I have had issues with this a few times trying to locate the perfect power source.

My doors and body were dentless, paint sorta matched. However I was offered FREE EB doors and harness, so i couldn't pass that up. I got the entire EB interior (seats, carpet, trim panels) for $60. The only things that are left grey is top of my dash, glove box door and the lower dash area.

The EB seats were in PERFECT shape for a 91 model. My XL seats were crap (bench seat was uncomfy), and the door panels were falling apart (as we know it's damn near impossible to find 4 door models w/manual doors). So it's really a matter of opinion as to swapping to power door stuff. Truthfully I did consider the transferring power stuff to XL shells, but when I found out it was a rivet battle I gave in to diff colored doors.

If you DO decide to do a door swap, make sure you take a sharpie and outline the edges of the hinges on the junkyard doors before you remove them, so you can easily line them up correctly when you put them on your truck. trust me on that one.

If you DO decide to do a door swap, make sure you take a sharpie and outline the edges of the hinges on the junkyard doors before you remove them, so you can easily line them up correctly when you put them on your truck. trust me on that one.

X2 on this.... I've got one door that isn't 100% correct yet. But it could be my hinge pins giving me issues. I guess one door out of four isn't bad.

The dash wiring is different for the power window models, be sure to swap that harness also. Unplugging those door jamb connectors is a PITA, be patient with those.

The windows can come out easily, with an air chisel to knock out the two rivets at the glass bottom brackets. Do that before swapping the window regulators and motors.

I have four spare gray Limited door panels, and two regular gray PW panels, plus the aftermarket handles new in boxes. Eh, you are in Washington, that's a long way. Good luck,

Don....

The plan is for him to come over, and I will help him with this....

I have EVERYTHING he needs for the swap.....and I have done it before.

Ryan

Don....

The plan is for him to come over, and I will help him with this....

I have EVERYTHING he needs for the swap.....and I have done it before.

Ryan

And I thank you for this. I'm really stoked to try and do it and am glafd I have someone who knows what they're doing to be able to help me. Looks like a nightmare. If it wasn't for him I probably would end up changing whole doors. Lol

Excellent Ryan, he is in very good hands.:salute:

LOL, you guys just keep your fingers out of the way of the window regulators.

Don....LOL....thanks for looking out for me!

Ryan

I know, but reminding yourself each time can help. I'm a little clumsy too, I've made the same mistakes twice on many occasion.

Back