Manually operated 5R55E in a 1st Gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manually operated 5R55E in a 1st Gen?

Dora the X

Reaction score
City, State
Rockport, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
I've been having some transmission issues with my 93 X. It got me to thinking about my options. That's how I came up with this (hair-brained?) idea...

What if you installed a 5R55E in your 1st Gen, and operated it manually, not relying on a computer for shifting at all. Let's say you installed a shifter that had a squeeze handle. So you'd squeeze the handle, releasing the TCC. Then move the shifter, activating/deactivating the appropriate solenoids for a gear change. Then release the squeeze handle to re-engage the TCC.

Or, if you don't like the squeeze handle, you could use a floor button/switch to operate the TCC. There are a number of set-up options.

This seems like a possibility...or would this totally not work?

Zack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW, this could also act as a theft deterrent system, since nobody would know how to drive it. ;) Not that anyone is trying to steal 1st Gens...

Holy crap. Not one person has something to say about this? Where are you tranny gurus?

Why not swap in a stick shift? At this point it's the same thing without the reliability and coolness factor

You would need some fancy switching to imitate the computer, I think there is a commercial unit that will do this but it's not cheap. There is more involve than just a shift lever, you better have a good knowledge of electronics, and computers.

In many ways I think it is an intriguing idea. As Poprichie77 notes, you will have to do your homework before you start so you adequately understand the electronics. Questions for consideration (as I am only aware that the 5R55E exists and have no knowledge of its workings):

1) Is there a 1 to 1 relation solenoids to gears, or does the computer use different combinations of solenoids to get each gear? In other words: exactly which solenoids are energized to get each gear?
2) Does the computer use pulse width modulation when shifting? If so, will you need to replicate that PWM pattern?
3) How to design the user interface (shifter, buttons, levers, other??)

I think if someone took the time to figure out the electronics, it would be doable.

The computer uses different combinations for each gear. It also uses pulse modulation.

My idea of a shifter is simply a lever that activates a battery of switches that control the solenoids. If PWM is required, a black box(es) could be installed. But if this is done, one might be better off doing the switching in the black box also.

Some years of Thunderbird came with a 5r55s and had the ability to be switched to manual mode. I never drove one, but I have driven a Chrysler product with this feature. With manual mode on, you move the shift lever one way for an upshift, and the opposite direction for a downshift.

So, this has me thinking, if one were to get a hold of a 5r55s, and the shifter and controller/computer for it, and put that controller/computer permanently in manual mode...

BTW, this could also be used with paddle shifters.

Okay. Well, I'm just thinking out loud, seeing if anyone else sees potential in this idea.

Back