Map light assembly questions.... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Map light assembly questions....

Help, plwase… I have a bad lamp socket ( map light ) in the overhead console of my 99 XLT ( with sun rood ).

I am trying to replace the lamp assembly. Several questions:
(1) Has anyone done this before?
(2) Anyone have a clue as to the part number?

I have tried Torrie at Ford Parts Network with no luck so far’ he has sent me the wrong part twice.

HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

taxx

Make em say Ugh
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
73 EB
better?

Attachments

• better.jpg
    better.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 522

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

taxx

Make em say Ugh
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
73 EB
been a while since I used them but I thought I remembered them angled like yours.... oops:rolleyes:

did you test the voltage on those copper conductors to make sure that isn't your problem?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
It turns out that Ford, in its infinite wisdom, “updated” the light bulbs/holder for the lamp assembly. They no longer make the old style bulb holder that came stock on my ‘99, the new bulb/holder has non replaceable bulbs, they make you purchase the bulb/holder as a unit ( XU5Z13466AA for $4.77 ).

The lamp assembly is exactly like the one pictured by Taxman in an earlier post in this thread.

I purchased the assembly ( F67Z13776CA ) from Sarasota Ford for $50.00 ( list $73.75 ). They helped me solve this dilemma; after ordering the wrong parts 4 times, we finally got it.

Now I have to take the old one out and install the new assembly….

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Removal of the old assembly was a bit confusing, but eventually out it came. The new one went in effortlessly.

I have light again, thank God.

By the way, the new one is much brighter than the old ever was.