Map light assembly questions.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Map light assembly questions....

Help, plwase… I have a bad lamp socket ( map light ) in the overhead console of my 99 XLT ( with sun rood ).

I am trying to replace the lamp assembly. Several questions:
(1) Has anyone done this before?
(2) Anyone have a clue as to the part number?

I have tried Torrie at Ford Parts Network with no luck so far’ he has sent me the wrong part twice.

HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by rydinhigh
are you talking about the little metal chrome looking thing that holds the light bulb up there?

I think so, and maybe whatever housing they are attached to.

on my 95 there is a little circle tab once you turn that it should fall out with the bulb. is that what you are trying to replace?

Originally posted by rydinhigh
on my 95 there is a little circle tab once you turn that it should fall out with the bulb. is that what you are trying to replace?

No, removing the bulb is obvious, I am asking about the assembly.

Part 6 in the pic below is listed as "Interior Lamp" # 13776. This info is for a '95 tho, not sure if it is different.

Attachments

• map light.jpg
    map light.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 969

You havent tried getting one form a wrecked Explorer at a yard?

Someone told me that the map lights are a part of the entire console assemblt that contains the compass and thermometer read outs.

Thoughts?????????????

Sounds like a trip to your local junk yard is in order. You can probably get the whole assembly for $35 or so.

Originally posted by Robb
Al, do you have a pic of what your overhead console looks like?

I will post one tomorrow; need batteries for camera.

Yes, very similar. What is the part to the top of the lense in the pic? I think it is different.

Robb, do the map light bulb holders have a part number on them? And can you post a pic of the buld holders?

Thanks......

to get it down it just snaps off

pull the rubber in front of it back (the trim that holds the carpet to the roof around the sun roof), then there is a bracket the back end will be loose and the fron just snaps in so pull down

but remove that trim around the winder first or you will break that piece and have to screw yours back up like I did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What exact part do you need? I may be able to help I just gutted mine to fit my CB up there?

Back