Map light assembly questions.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Map light assembly questions....

Help, plwase… I have a bad lamp socket ( map light ) in the overhead console of my 99 XLT ( with sun rood ).

I am trying to replace the lamp assembly. Several questions:
(1) Has anyone done this before?
(2) Anyone have a clue as to the part number?

I have tried Torrie at Ford Parts Network with no luck so far’ he has sent me the wrong part twice.

HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The whole asembly or just one of the reflective holders. I have two of those left and maybe the bracket that holds them in but I don't think so. I will go check. BRB

here is what I have:

Attachments

• holder.jpg
    holder.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 331

was that fast enough?:D

Damn fast, thanks. How do the bulbs go in? Can you do a pic of the bulb assembly?

This is the bulv "assembly " that I have.....

Attachments

• bulb.gif
    bulb.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 333

from the bottom side. That pic is the side that faces to the roof. Then when you pop off the lense the bulbs screw in like 1/4 of a turn.

I take it you ahve not taken yours apart yet? I wish I would have taken some pics when I had mine down to mod the CB into it,but it is up there now and it was a bear to get all the wires from the CB stuffed away so I really don't wanna pull it. But that are the parts I have left from the lamp.

What it is missing:
there is a flat copper piece that goes on the bottom side that hooks to the plug and power the bulbs. if you NEED it I may beable to find mine in the trash, but chances are if you have this console in your X yours is still in good shape. I am still a bit confused to what is actually broken in yours.

this is what you see when you open the lense cap to replace the bulbs (this is with the bulbs out and the wiring missing:

(it is all chrome, the wierd brown spots are fromt he flash)

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 335

I too am confused as to what is broken. The light on the drivers side ( lights the pass side ) quit working, no the bulb is fine, and somehow the holder for the buld took yo missing, I actually just need the bulb holder, Do you have it?

What sixe bulb does it take? Can you do a pic of the bulb holder?

Mune uses 168 bulbes.

That is the bulb holder. The bulb screw in to the bottom of the lense. Maye ours are a bit different. Maybe the copper POS is toast?

k I am mistaken. The buld screws in to the piece ont he first pic.

Are you saying the bulb)s_ have a screw base? Or do they go in a gray plastic holder.

Sorry to be such a pain, I simply want some light. The local Ford dealer is no help whatso seve, and I have has Torrie at FPN ship me 3 different ( all wrong ) parts.

All this for a simple friggin bulb.

Mine is a GE 906 (maybe the same thing) two more pics:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 340

bulb screwed in:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 334

bulb plugs right in to that grey plastic bottom. So add 2 bulbs (doubt those would make it to ya USPS) and two bases to my list of what I have

After looking at yours and running out tp take a pic of mine, I think we have different parts.

Your drivers side bulb shines on the drivers side, mine shines the passenger side....

Attachments

• console2.jpg
    console2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 318

another view. sorry for crappy pic, hard to do in the total darkness.

Attachments

• console3.jpg
    console3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 311

Thats because I put the bulbs in backwards:eek:

Back