MAP sensor on 2006 Ex 4.0? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

itallian1488

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
I threw a code yesterday coming home from work :banghead:, P0108 -MAP sensor.....however Im being told (through various searches) that this Ex doesn't have a MAP sensor, also advance auto did a search for MAP sensor and they couldn't find one for my SUV it said "refer to MAF"....I called my local ford dealer they agreed that my SUV does not have a MAP sensor then he changed his story (once he asked someone else working with him) and said "the EGR has a MAP sensor, but that code could be anything" :thumbdwn: ok so now I've lost trust. Does my 06 Ex 4.0 have a MAP senor or not? If so where is it so I can replace it. I did a search on here and didnt see anything. Also my SUV is running very smoothly, no issues (accept that annoying CEL) and I did inspect and clean the MAF sensor today, all looks good there. Thank you for your help!

EDIT: Could it be EGR valve???

The Ford Service Manual for the 2006 Explorer does not address the MAP sensor while describing the two engine types. It does say that the 4.0 V6 has an EGR valve but the 4.6 does not (it uses variable cam timing instead of EGR). The EGR used on the 4.0 V6 utilises a module that is controlled by the PCM. There is however more info available in Ford's PC/ED manual for the 2006 Explorer:

The diagnostic for the p0108 says:

P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)/Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor High
Description: Sensor operating voltage is greater than 5 volts (VREF). As a result it failed above the maximum allowable calibrated parameter.
Possible Causes: VREF shorted to VPWR
MAP signal shorted to VPWR
VREF should be less than 6.0 volts. The PID reading is in frequency/volts
Open circuit

Diagnostic Aids: VREF should be greater than 4.0 volts. The PID reading is in frequency/volts.
Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory
All GO to Pinpoint Test DM .

At pinpoint test DM there are a number of different connectors. The Explorer 4.0 V6 shows an EGR module connector with Pin 3 as MAP and pin 2 as the VREF. The 170 pin PCM connector for the 4.0 V6 has a MAP pin E62 and a VREF pin E57. The 4.6 V8 does not have a MAP pin. So it appears the problem could be in the PCM or the EGR component, but more likely the EGR module or connector.

I dimly remember a late model (2003 plus) Lincoln Town Car with the 4.6 2V engine (uses similar electronic module EGR to the 4.0 Explorer) having a MAP DTC (there are several codes). I think a new module fixed it, but I don't know for sure.

Good luck.

Thanks for the very detailed reply....you are great! So EGR valve....sounds like we pinpointed it. Ill probably clean it first then if that fails, replace it.....now too find its location. :popcorn:

The EGR module appears to be mounted to the throttle body near the firewall on the passenger side. The exhaust pickup tube is attached to the EGR and to the exhaust manifold near the firewall. The MAP sensor appears to be integral with the module (where the electrical connection is attached).

If you have any problems PM me. Good luck.

Back