MAP SENSOR

fire232

Reaction score
City, State
Sound Beach , NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
Hello, I have a quick question,
I got the code telling ne the map sensor is bad, I have located it, and cant figure out if a vacume line is supposed to be connected to it. Any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I originally replied to this post with:

Great Question since I'm seeing the same error and he Haynes book dosen;t seem to tell where the *@#&*(#@& thing is! LOL

Hep me!

HOWEVER:

Further research here disclosed the following:

The MAP (Manifold Atmospheric Pressure) or BAP (Barometric Atmospheric Pressure) sensor is located high on the firewall, a bit to the passegner side of the center line of the vehicle. Look for the (in my case oval) three wire connector that goes to a sensor that extends into the cowl vent.

MAP Sensors have vacuum lines, BAP sensors do not.

Early Gen1 Explorers may have Either or none, depending on unknown factors. (I would suspect rolling revisions on the assembly line as old product was exhausted, but that's just the old process engineer coming out in me!)

I hope this helps to clarify issues with BAPS, MAPS, gen1 exploders, and stuff!

A_G

When present, this sensor represents a BAP on Explorers, since all Explorers used an MAF system for fuel control. This means there doesn't need to be a vacuum line.
And codes don't tell you sensors are bad. Codes tell you that the computer saw unreasonable data from a given sensor. Unreasonable data at the computer could just as easily be caused by a bad wire between the computer and the given sensor. 1st thing I would do, now that you've located the BAP, would be to get a wiring diagram and make sure the wiring between the PCM and BAP is intact.

Timer to renew the thread on sensors <smile>

MrShorty said:
When present, this sensor represents a BAP on Explorers, since all Explorers used an MAF system for fuel control. This means there doesn't need to be a vacuum line.
And codes don't tell you sensors are bad. Codes tell you that the computer saw unreasonable data from a given sensor. Unreasonable data at the computer could just as easily be caused by a bad wire between the computer and the given sensor. 1st thing I would do, now that you've located the BAP, would be to get a wiring diagram and make sure the wiring between the PCM and BAP is intact.

so not all explorers have the map/bap sensors? I have a 99 xlt with a 4.0 SOHC....I've replaced the maf sensor once this summer due to the killing problem I had...now it's doing it again and I'm getting the run around from advance auto parts saying it's probably the map......

Back