• Register Today It's free!

MAP sensor

Vinniety

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester county, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 sport
Okay so i still have the check engine light on and i have been trying to troubleshoot without throwing money to new parts. The last test was with a scan tool and this is the reading i get...the code i get is the p0171 and p0174

MAP 0.00
ST FTRM1 -2.3 TO 0.7
LT FTRM1 6.2 STEADY
ST FTRM2 -2.3 TO 0.0
LT FTRM2 4.5 STEADY

I disconnected the map sensor becasue i couldnt understand why the reading was 0.00 and the truck didnt do anything. It didnt rev high or lower. I did the cleanning to the map sensor and it didnt do anything. Can this be the problem to my check engine light. Shouldnt the truck rev different when i disconnect it?????

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can someone tell me when they plug in there code scanner what reading they get for the MAP sensor. I want to know if it should read 0.00 or not?

Trying to get rid of the check engine light.

THanks

Well, I think the reason that you aren't getting any response on this is that ex's don't have a MAP sensor.... GM's do but I don't think ex's do... hence the "0000" ... there ain't no sensor. Hopefully someone will concur. Not sure what sensor you unplugged????? Anyways, your code problems are not likely related to any sensors but a "significant leak" in the intake... my take on the problem...:)

Well, I think the reason that you aren't getting any response on this is that ex's don't have a MAP sensor.... GM's do but I don't think ex's do... hence the "0000" ... there ain't no sensor. Hopefully someone will concur. Not sure what sensor you unplugged????? Anyways, your code problems are not likely related to any sensors but a "significant leak" in the intake... my take on the problem...:)

I unplugged the sensor that is on the intake sorry if i stated the wrong name. I have posted on a few different threads and i do not have a vac leak. I even had a mechanic run a sniffer i think that is what it is called and no leak. I can only think that the next thing is the o2 sensors. I have the OHV motor not the sohc and from what i have read the error code points to different things for each motor. O well still trying to resolve it. The truck runs great i just dont want to have that Check engine light on. its blinding me, hahah

well as you say your O2 sensors could be bad. When were they last changed? In addition to intake leaks (which you say you have none), is the possibility of exhaust leaks near or around the O2 sensors causing them to read high oxygen.

I guess you could also get a vacuum gauge and confirm whether your intakes are "functional". Check / change your pcv.

Okay so i still have the check engine light on and i have been trying to troubleshoot without throwing money to new parts. The last test was with a scan tool and this is the reading i get...the code i get is the p0171 and p0174

MAP 0.00
ST FTRM1 -2.3 TO 0.7
LT FTRM1 6.2 STEADY
ST FTRM2 -2.3 TO 0.0
LT FTRM2 4.5 STEADY

I disconnected the map sensor becasue i couldnt understand why the reading was 0.00 and the truck didnt do anything. It didnt rev high or lower. I did the cleanning to the map sensor and it didnt do anything. Can this be the problem to my check engine light. Shouldnt the truck rev different when i disconnect it?????

thanks

P0171 and P0174 are lean error codes detected by O2 sensor. But the lean message is a symptom of a different problem. In most cases (as has been exhaustively discussed here in several threads), it boils down to an intake leak. When this happened to me, I changed the intake "o-rings" and the problem did not resurface

Check post number 11 on this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1652775&highlight=intake+gasket#post1652775

I believe the same applies to P0174

and http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171819&highlight=p0171

If you can rule out the gaskets then it might be an injector issue (possibly needs cleaning or replacing)

Good luck fixing your problem and keep us posted

Back