March 17th 2001 trail ride to GWNF | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

March 17th 2001 trail ride to GWNF

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
OK, Im going to George Washington National Forest near Harrisonburg for a trail ride on the 17th March. Run some easy trails very little chance for damage(I hope). Plan tio run two or three trails on Sat.

If you want to come add your name to the list with your vehicle and how likely you are to attend.

Ill post some more details as the date becomes closer. Questions just ask.

March 17th

Steve VB 91 Navajo 100%
Michael(donkey Boy) 97 sohc 100%
Matt(Mtn Dog) 00 4dr 100%
Michelle (friskey1) 95sport 50%
coloradobound 94 50%
Tim (NoBoundries) 96 50%
RU man 50%

I tried to add everyone that was following the other thread but if I missed ytou sorry and ad your name and info. Add your name or make corrections as needed, I would like to have at least 5 vehicles to go for saftey sake, and it will be more fun!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by SteveVB
If you want to come add your name to the list with your vehicle and how likely you are to attend.

Steve,

Unfortunately I'll be unable to make the Feb 10 run, but the Mar 17 run looks good at this point. Enjoyed the previous outing and looking forward to this one! Thanks for organizing things...

Paul N.

March 17th

Steve VB 91 Navajo 100%
coloradobound 94 50%
Tim (NoBoundries) 96 50%
RU man 50%
Paul N. 87 Ranger 90%

i am not sure yet but 50% for me on the march trip

March 17th update

Steve VB 91 Navajo 100%
Paul N. 87 Ranger 90%
coloradobound 94 50%
Tim (NoBoundries) 96 50%
RU man 50%
BigT 93 Eddy 50%

Originally posted by SteveVB
March 17th update

Steve VB 91 Navajo 100%
Paul N. 87 Ranger 90%
Michelle (friskey1) 95sport 75%
coloradobound 94 50%
Tim (NoBoundries) 96 50%
RU man 50%
BigT 93 Eddy 50%

You'll note my chances of coming have increased. Buying parts today for the truck and fourwheelers! :)

Oh yeah...I wanted to ask this... Is this an all day run or like 2 hours type thing? Just an approximate time frame is cool. Just so I can plan! :) Thanks!

[Edited by Frisckey1 on 01-23-2001 at 07:37 AM]

Day trip

I would like to run at least two trails maybe three, so most of the day. I expect to start around 9-10 and depending on who comes, what happens and if we run a third trail would expect to finish around 3-4 including time for lunch. This allows for people who have distances to drive time to get to and from Harrisonburg. Im putting together a tenative plan which I will post in the next few days.

Ok I havent had much time to get this sorted out but there is still 6 weeks until the trip. But here is what I plan ion doing as of now.

This run will be a day trip to the GWNF. We will meet at 10am in the parking lot of McDormans store on 33W. The store is aprox 12 miles west of Harrisonburg. (its the only store on the leeft side with gas pumps)

We will head west on 33 to Kephart Run, which is a short dead end trail with a couple of challenges at the end of the trail. We will turn around and head back to 33, contine west to second mountain road. We will run up second mountain road. Somewhere along the trail we will have a lunch break. Continuing on second mountain we will head for Old Long Run, we will run Old long run, and the side trail- hill climb. From there we can head back out to 33 and you can either head back to Mc Dormans, or east to Harrisonburg and home. I am expecting to be finished no later than 4 pm-
although Ive never run these trails in this order so Im not positive on the timing.

I will post some links with the map of the area again.

Ill post more updates and info as march approaches

By the way my name is Brian, and i might be bring a friend with his ranger. Could anyone tell me how far it is off of I-81 and does 33 run off I-81.

Brian,
there is an exit off of 81 for route 33w, you have to be careful once on 33 because it snakes around a church in the center of the town pay attention to the signs in town. The meeting place is about 12 miles west on 33.

Look forward to seeing you in March.

here is the link to the topo site, its a little clunky but using the scroll and scale you can see the area.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=38.573&lon=-79.0195&s=25&size=m

This should have a map with the center aprox. located at the intersection of Long Run Road and Second mtn Road. Look for the BM 3338, marked Gates. I propose coming up second mtn from Rt 33, going through this intersection past it to a trail on the right marked by a dashed line- this is Old Long Run Road- hard to see but it basically follows Long Run down to the bottom of the mtn and onto FR72 for a few hundred yards to the Gospel Hill church at the corner of FR72, and State 612.

This is a copy of the post from Whats up with MD, with the online topo map. If you get the next map to the left and the one below you will see 33, go west on 33 and you should see Kephart Run on the right side of the road. It is slow but you can get a picture of the area and the trails we are going to run if your patient. If I can get a scanner Ill scan a map with the area and trails- dont hold your breath!

Thanks for the info SteveVB. I'm thinkin about sking up at Massanutten the night before. Do you know if the sking is any good in late session there? Or if anyone else does?

Count me in for a 60% chance of going. Depends on how much I get back from my taxes and what I buy with the money. If I get to spend it on some bigger all terrain tires and a CB I'm in. If something else money wise comes up I might can't make it. (hope that doesn't happen!)

Do you guys who are probably going mind telling exactly where you're from? If we could all meet up with each other while we're on the way it would look sweet to see a growing train of Explorers going down 81. :)

Man I hope I get to go... SteveVB, are you almost positive a stock can make it without damage? My dad would KILL me if I tore up my Explorer. (it's on his insurance) Plus I would probably cry if my baby got wounded. :)

yob yeknom,
glad to see you might by coming. we can ride up there togather, if i don't go sking the night before. It might be too hot for that anyway. If you decide you want to go give me an e-mail. BWT, i think most people goin is from north Va or Md. But i might be wrong.

IF I do come, I'll be coming from southern WV. And I'm also making sure that a stock vehicle can make the trails. I only have a lil larger tires (30x9.50 All-terrains), and thats the only real mod I've done. Don't really think that Rancho shocks help offroad. And I'm worried about the vehicle damage due to my parents owning it also.

Damage Worries

Most likely you will have no damage, but I cant say that your not going to have any damage. You are driving, not me. There wont be any pressure to do anything you dont feel comfortable doing. There will be some experience there to help you out. No one can garrantee that kind of stuff.

The last time we ran with the Explorers in Nov. we had no damage, they were stock, and some had slightly larger tires.
If you pay attention, follow the leader, and ask questions if your unsure about how to get around/over something, you will be OK.

I have driven a couple of stock vehicles over the trails, no damage- Ive also smacked right into the face of a rock which put a huge dent in the front bumper of my pick-up. I wasnt paying attention in an area I had been through many times before - including three previous trips that DAY.

I know of a few Explorers, some blazers, troopers, amigos, jeeps, cherokees that have made it also with no damage. I will also say that some of those same types of vehicles have driven out with some damage. Air dams, low hanging lights things like that.

Its your call but I hope that you will come and enjoy the FuN!!

If I'm not mistaken, the '94's have less overhangs and less hanging down, right? And if theres help and a spotter in the areas, I'd probably say I'd be ok. Like I said, I can't get front towhooks, frame ends behind factory fogs. And the larger tires add a smidge of height.

ColoradoB, I doubt you will have any problems.

Hey, thanks for the reassurance. Just hate to have anything happen to my car. Love it. Just would kill me to have anything happen. But if theres help, I should be kewl. Still not sure if I'd be able to come. School and all. College sucks at times. And I want to try the new tires so badly.

How much does it cost to go on these trails?

Also, I'm up to 75% chance of going.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe it does cost anything to go, but it might,i haven't been there before

Back