• Register Today It's free!

Mass Air Flow question

mlcase27

Reaction score
City, State
lagrange indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
Ok, so here it is, I noticed my truck acting up at start-up. I checked the forums and found out how to test and clean the mass air flow sencor. True enough it was dirty. I unpluged it and the truck ran exactly the same pluged in or not. Cleaned it and the truck ran ALOT better. After a few weeks tho it started acting up again. So could it be a bad sencor or is it just getting exesivly dirty? I have a clean air filter in it. Please Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sensor MIGHT be bad...

But have you cleaned it again? If your filter is still clean and not getting dirty, perhaps it's not filtering air? or there's a leak somewhere letting unfiltered/dirty air in?

are you using a K&N air filter by any chance?

Are you getting any check engine lights? You could get a MAF from a junk yard, swap it out. See if it gets better. Besides that with no CEL's you'll have to make your best guess at what it is and replace things till it goes away.

no, I am just using a fram air filter. I was thinking about using a K&N tho. Unless it will make it worse?

nope, no check engine light is on. But it will run the same wether or not I have it pluged in or not pluged in. Untill I clean it again that is.

Clean it again and see what happens. You may have a bad seal in the cleaner box or the seal before the MAF body. Recheck your box and make sure the tabs are alined in the box bottom. Make sure there is no cracks in the filter, lid or MAF body.

K&Ns use a special oil to trap the dirt. This oil can be drawn into the intake stream and deposit itself on the sensor, crudding the sensor again. If you replace the sensor, spend the money and get a motorcraft sensor. The factory parts are usually the only ones that will operate to the tolerences that the system requires. I have bought so many crap cheapies, i'm tired of taking them back.

Good luck

^ exactly....

ok, I will check everything out, Thanks everyone! And just to be sure a K&N filter is bad to use then right?

ok, I will check everything out, Thanks everyone! And just to be sure a K&N filter is bad to use then right?

thats a debate as old as the sun. I use one, and like it. The key is to follow the procedures and not over oil the thing. I use my truck on dusty roads a lot so I really liked the idea of being able to clean my filter. I also clean my MAF once a month, it only takes 1 min to pop the hood open the airbox and spray the MAF clean (on my model). some other models may be more difficult to clean.

Anyway I think most of the problems come from people who feel the need to over oil the thing.

I have them on two of my vehicles, they work great. I noticed more difference on my throttle body Lincoln than the Explorer. Its just another maintenance item if you use one. You got to clean the element and oil it and on explorers you have to keep an eye on the MAF sensor.

My dad has a diesel Jetta and he said it makes a big difference on it. So it depends on your preference and vehicle.

I wouldn't say they are bad to use, just another thing to keep after.

The problem has nothing to do with the air filter unless it is really full of junk. A junk yard will save you a ton of money while trying to trouble shoot this. At my local pull n save I can even return the parts within a mos. You could try the part, see if it works, if not, take it back. Only out your labor.

Back