• Register Today It's free!

Mass Air Flow

Team Persiani

Reaction score
City, State
EL Cajon CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer 4X4
I have a 1993 explorer 4x4 v6 4.0 and was wondering if anyone has an MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR my sensor crap out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure it is "crapped out" or just might need cleaned?

I haven't tried cleaning the sensor, what type of cleaner is best to clean it with. The truck runs really bad not wanting to stay on and miss firing and smelling gas from the tail pipe and faulty spark plugs You think a cleaning would clear it all up cause i switch my mass air flow sensor with my friends and it runs perfect so i know its the sensor. Thank you for all the advice.

you can go to checkers or autozone and its in a can that says MAF cleaner. very useful. I use it to clean all kinds of electrical connections.

Wish I had known that before I ran out to Ford and got a new MAF sensor from them. I had a mechanic friend of mine test it with the multimeter and he told me it was bad and would have to be replaced. I'm wondering now if I spent money I didn't have to (even though I got a shop discount.)

It's always good to get a second opinion on something like that, especially when replacing high-dollar items like the MAF. This website is a fantastic resource for second opinions LOL. Seriously, there are a lot of great people here with decades of experience in troubleshooing faults with automobiles (and many other things too) and most are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

Back