Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
N4DRE
Not sure if this belongs in the tech or stock board. I just purchased a 2020 ST with the premium tech pkg. Bought it from a dealership 4 hrs from my house. About halfway home I started getting the annoying Waze / CarPlay bug and the massaging seats just stopped working. I can go into seat settings and the button is there, but when I press it nothing happens.

I have tried a reboot and even a factory reset of the Sync 3 system. No dice.

Here is a video showing the behavior:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not take it to the dealer for warranty.....

I will assuming it isn't something simple that someone has seen before. Being an engineer I like trying to solve technical problems myself before admitting defeat lol

Mine did this once but fixed itself on the next restart of the vehicle. Screen wouldn't turn them on and the button on the side of the seat adjustment wouldn't so it either. Disconnect your negative battery terminal for 5 min and reconnect, see if that hard resets it.

No dice :(. Looks like it will be going to the service dept. Not reassuring for a vehicle I've owned a day lol

Figured it out!!!

Somehow the same Waze / Apple CarPlay bug that is affecting our volume control was wreaking havoc with the massaging seats. As soon as I force-closed Waze on my iphone I could turn the seats back on. If I restarted Waze it wouldn't let me turn them off. Killed Waze...could turn them off.

Force-closing Waze also fixed the volume issue. I made a quick and dirty video showing the audio bug and how to fix it for those that may not be super tech savvy. Once I get it sliced together and uploaded I'll make a separate post for it.

Glad you got it figured out.

73's Peter

Wow. Crazy that something like Carplay can affect something unrelated to it.

Wow. Crazy that something like Carplay can affect something unrelated to it.

My thoughts exactly! As a systems engineer who works in enterprise IT that tells me that there is no or hardly any sandbox between Sync and Carplay.

My thoughts exactly! As a systems engineer who works in enterprise IT that tells me that there is no or hardly any sandbox between Sync and Carplay.
A least you got massaging seats. My daughter bought a 2022 ST and the sticker said massaging were on it but they weren't. The rear seats don't have the adjustable rear seats. The electric opening rear hatch door isn't installed and they charged her over $5000.00 over list. Who do I sue?

A least you got massaging seats. My daughter bought a 2022 ST and the sticker said massaging were on it but they weren't. The rear seats don't have the adjustable rear seats. The electric opening rear hatch door isn't installed and they charged her over $5000.00 over list. Who do I sue?
Did you or your daughter go over the vehicle before accepting it ?

Welcome to the Forum Angus. :wave:
Did she order it or buy it from a dealer's lot? Which package does she have on it, 400A or 401A?
Does she have the Premium Technology Package? The Ford website shows it this way; Premium Technology Package (Less Multicontour Seats)
The messaging seats may have been deleted due to the chip shortage. A
As for the liftgate, is it not powered at all from the fob, dash or liftgate button? The Hands-Free Liftgate option is being deleted for the same 'chip' shortage and customers are receiving a credit for it. I believe it is $55. There is some debate as to whether this may be installed at a later date.
Paying $5000 over list is on the buyer, not anyone else.
When you say rear seats are you talking about the 2nd row? Are the Captain's Chairs? They should slide I believe.
As Rick, asked above, did the buyer not inspect the vehicle before signing the paperwork?
There is no one to sue.

Peter

Back