massive oil leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

nas321

Reaction score
City, State
cape coral fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer sport tr
Hey everyone new to the ownership of a sport trac, I have a 2004 sport trac 4.0 v6 I was doing routine maintenance and changed the upper front timing chain tensioner,
didn't know it needs to be primed and put on with a very thin washer, put it on and leaked super hard from there, took it out primed it then put it back in. still leaking then I had a mechanic come look at it told me it was leaking through there, then I put on the washer, still leaking profusely as if I had no drain plug on the bottom.

its a massive leak and that the only place its leaking from. where else would it be leaking from?
I'm confused because I've seen mechanics switch that part out and go on about their day
is there something I am missing ?

any knick or gouge under the tensioner and it will leak like a waterfall
Sometimes you have to flat file the area to get it flat again

That small washer is not a washer it is THE OIL SEAL
Sometimes you can get by with a very light coat of permatex ultra grey on both sides of the oil seal and re install
torque to spec, let it setup and that should stop the leak
This is ONLY after you have removed any knicks or gouges in the metal MUST HAVE A CLEAN FLAT SURFACE!!!!!!!!

Simular issue here when changing the left OilPressurized TimingTensioner.
These Tensioners require the metal washer\seal\gasket; without it they WILL leak oil like a stuck pig.
Also had a scar on the Tensioner~Head seat, so resorted to teflon tape spiral wrapped around washer to get it to seal.
Recommend pre-oiling the Tensioners, but not completely filling them with oil; makes threads much harder to start.
Need to be careful not to cross thread these Tensioners into the aluminum head.
More info here
View attachment 324619
thank you so much for this.

Back