Master Reset not working, cannot delete current phone | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Master Reset not working, cannot delete current phone

P

PIUtility

Well, looks like I goofed today, and downloaded the phone book. All was peachy for an hour, and now the system will not connect at all, continues to give me a "Phone Disconnected" error, the phone has been hard reset (at my disgust) but the issue lies within the truck.

I cannot at all, in any way shape or form, delete the phone from the system. I have tried master reset 4 times, opened and shut door, waited 1 minute, opened door again and started car, and the PHONE IS STILL THERE. I scroll up to delete device, and I get "Delete Confirm" and it goes no farther. Delete all devices says they're gone, but even after a master reset, you push Phone and it immediate tries to connect to the old phone.

I've about had it with this now, after an hour of messing with it. Im about to the point of lighting my hair and this truck on fire.

Truck is a 2013 PI Utility with the standard Sync and 4" screen, not MFT. Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to reset the software via a USB drive?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try the reset app stickied at the top of the forum, or just pull the negative batter cable and see if that doesn't get the unit to reset. Usually works.

If not, you are in for a trip to the dealer.

Hi, PIUtility,

I suggest either a trip to the dealership or a pull of the SYNC fuse. I'm not sure if the fuses for the PI Utility are the same, so if you'd like me to check which fuse it is, shoot me a private message with your VIN.

Rebecca

Interesting because I did a 1 hour negative battery cable pull the other day and MFT did not delete my iPhone5 either.

All Sirius presets were there as well.

60 minutes should completely remove everything back to default.

Try the reset app stickied at the top of the forum, or just pull the negative batter cable and see if that doesn't get the unit to reset. Usually works.

If not, you are in for a trip to the dealer.

I saw the link, but I have standard MyFord Sync, and didnt want to hose it with MFT software.

Pulled the battery cable for 30 minutes, and while it reset everything, it still had my phone saved but connected and seemed to work fine again (had to set up everything else though). Hopefully this doesnt happen again :scratch:

Interesting because I did a 1 hour negative battery cable pull the other day and MFT did not delete my iPhone5 either.

All Sirius presets were there as well.

60 minutes should completely remove everything back to default.

Not really.. presets are stored on the radio, not the APIM, so they don't go away (I don't believe even after a master reset). Also unplugging the battery doesn't remove any of your settings, phones, etc (except the bug where certain settings aren't saved, like ambient lighting color). After the battery cable pull you would need to do a master reset to reset everything back to default.

I saw the link, but I have standard MyFord Sync, and didnt want to hose it with MFT software.

Pulled the battery cable for 30 minutes, and while it reset everything, it still had my phone saved but connected and seemed to work fine again (had to set up everything else though). Hopefully this doesnt happen again :scratch:

MFT was "frozen" for all intensive purposes. After doing the battery pull it rebooted, after that a master reset would have removed your phone and set everything back to factory. The master reset prior to the disconnecting battery wasn't doing anything because MFT was basically half-responsive (a common symptom).

Ok will try battery disconnect and Master Reset to trouble shoot text messaging issue

Ok will try battery disconnect and Master Reset to trouble shoot text messaging issue

Since you don't have the problem described in the first post (master reset not working).. you should do a master reset, and then disconnect battery (or use delayed reboot app). The OP only had to disconnect before master reset because the master reset wasn't working.

Copy, will do

Sorry, didn't see that at the bottom of your post.

I wouldn't think the MFT reset app would even work on yours since you don't have MFT.

Today I read a SYNC 3 post from Ford about the MASTER RESET and saw something that I had missed (or hadn't been published) before. As with the upgrades using a USB "Thumb Drive", they are saying that when doing a MASTER RESET on anything after 2015 models, you must have the vehicle running - not in the ACC mode. I haven't tried it, but I have always tried it without the engine running and none of the presets were erased. I did the battery disconnect yesterday and, although it seems to have fixed my problem with the Navigation, it did not erase any presets. Of course, BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, turn off the bluetooth connection with your phone and unplug any USB devices. Mine is the SYNC 3 in a 2017 Ford Explorer.

Where did you see this post you referred to? Do you have a link?

Peter

Back