Matte black vinyl wrapped door pillars | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Matte black vinyl wrapped door pillars

cloud2or3

Reaction score
City, State
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Limited SOHC
I was getting tired of my faded pillars... probably like everyone else! This is an easy fix folks, have at 'er!

you'll need vinyl, an exacto knife, and a wedging tool of some kind.

before...
IMG_0944.jpg

after...
IMG_09451.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was getting tired of my faded pillars... probably like everyone else! This is an easy fix folks, have at 'er!

you'll need vinyl, an exacto knife, and a wedging tool of some kind.

before...
IMG_0944.jpg

after...
IMG_09451.jpg
That looks very nice. But, how long will it hold up? I'm like you, tired of looking at the gray pillars. The rear corners are even worse. My truck is gray, but not that gray. I' m debating about body color, or satin black.

I'd agree that nothing beats a coat of black paint, but I wanted to see how long this stuff lasts. I have friends that wrap there grills etc to protect the paint and its still going strong. I was thinking about wrapping my entire mercury cougar, but I think the wrap costs as much as a half decent paint job.

I did the rear pillars also, pics to come (now that I'm 'Elite'!).

That's a great idea, I do hope it lasts for a long time.

ALSA is a great paint supply source, you should check out the new line of vinyl wrap material they have. I think they have chrome which looks like chrome, and any other imaginable colors, textures. I bought a Blood Red candy concentrate from them I have yet to use for repainting my cars.

The reason why I didnt paint is because i'd have to do it outside... in the wind... Black speckles on a ivory pearl would probably tick me right off!

As promised here are the rears...

Drivers side...
img_0954.jpg

Passenger side...
img_0955.jpg

It's not a perfect job, but its pretty darn good for my first run!

Agreed, and, you have a lot more patience than I have. VERY nice job.

That's beautiful. I remember removing those trim pieces, and taping off to paint all of the black sections. There are a bunch or corners in the back.

That came out nicely. A good quality vinyl installed properly should last a few years.

Back