• Register Today It's free!

Matte Paint Job or Wrap?

steve04KU

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Has anyone done a matte paint job or some sort of matte wrap to their Explorer Sport?

Hunt for the ALSA website, they sell all kinds of paints, and wraps. They do have a wrap which is satin or matte finish, and they swear it cannot be scratched(keyed). They sell wraps that can go on anything, from chrome finish to their candy colors. It's all high dollar, so you'd have to sign on to receive promotions. They constantly have sales, usually in the 40-60% off range. I've bought a few things from them. Their shipping is a little high, it all goes as hazardous materials.

There are many options out there to change the color of your Explorer. Ranging from Plastidip to a full repaint. Depending on how much you're looking to spend is really going to dictate what you can do. Having had a car repainted (cheaply) with a single stage paint years ago, and also recently having my Explorer liquid wrapped with a Raail product called airwrap. I would say it’s really not worth it unless you pay a reputable shop to fully prep and paint the car the right way OR have a professional vinyl shop prep and wrap the car in a quality vinyl. (Which gets expensive) For reference I kept the wrap on the truck for all of 12 days before I pulled it off. The industry has expanded however and there are more options than ever. The product autoflex looks extremely cool but I have no actual experience with it. Good luck modding your truck.

Be sure of the product you choose before you try it, and know how the surface must be in condition before putting anything on it. The ALSA wraps will all come off easily from high gloss surfaces such as a well kept paint, not dead paint. They tell you that if you install it on paint which has been weathered and basically dead(no gloss and no wax), expect the vinyl to become almost permanent. Meaning porous surfaces will be much harder to remove the material from, possibly requiring mechanical methods like sanding, to remove.

Back