Matte White... VINYL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Matte White... VINYL

Mr. Wiggles

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
For a while it's been a dream of mine to paint my ex matte white, but I definitely didn't want to have to pay an excessive amount to have it painted right.... then I found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWgfzkuHVlQ

I've performed wraps on cars before, but the idea to cover it in a solid colored vinyl never crossed my mind.... My explorer is maroon, so I'm going to have to order some thick stuff...

car-wrap.jpg

What do you guys think? I'm planning on going for the look of Rob Dyrdek's new hoe...

http://niketalk.yuku.com/topic/1182...White-Tahoe--new-trend--car-customizatio.html

EDIT: Didn't know it... but the style is called stormtroopin :D

10465689_3e353d8227.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm.... That is interesting at the very least. How much would it cost to cover an entire SUV? Would bugs imprint themselves in the vinyl up front? I guess the best part about it is that if you ever feel like selling your ride you can just peel all that off and have some near new paint.

If your gonna use vinyl, make sure you use cast vinyl and not calendar. Cast vinyl can conform to compound curves while calendar can only do simple and flat areas. It may cost more but you should be fine.. You can order vinyl up to 48" in width.

Like the color just not his ho.

I had a white 97 Trans Am and all I can say is gloss white stains bad enough. flat white would be a nightmare!

The Tahoe looks sick.

i thought about doing matte black when i first got my mountaineer but i still can't deside on a color i want to paint mine. i was thinking dark smoked chrome because no one does chrome paints ever. in my oppinion too many people are doing the flat or matte finish.

i thought about doing matte black when i first got my mountaineer but i still can't deside on a color i want to paint mine. i was thinking dark smoked chrome because no one does chrome paints ever. in my oppinion too many people are doing the flat or matte finish.

Too many flat BLACK, but that is the first one in WHITE I ever saw. :cool:

How about gold instead of chrome? I found a SEXY pic of a gold car:D(trust me, it's HOT!)

Found it:D You either love it or you hate it. For some reason, I love it.
34496398.jpg

44330904.jpg

48066214.jpg

88539721.jpg

be sure to post pics of it when its done mr. wiggles

Omg that gold is amazing looking!

I wouldn't do it. I too have done wraps, and with experience it can be done without wrinkles and bubbles but it won't take long to look bad. When vehicles are wrapped with printed images, the graphic hides the eventual damage to the surface. It's far more likely to get scratches and tears than paint, being soft, especially when in the sun. Being matte, you can't wax it, and some of the products used to clean bugs off or window cleaners with ammonia can get under the edges and attack the adhesive, lifting the edges. And yes, the maroon will darken the white. The "thick stuff" will hide better but is calendered rather than cast, and will shrink over just a few months and is not recommended for vehicles at all never mind wraps.

Ouch... I found some of the stuff they're using.... $749.81 a roll (60"x150yd).... ****!

SHEESH! That's almost as much as a paint job!

And that gold car makes me nauseous. Too bling, bling :thumbdwn:.

I like the gold lmao, but that needs to be in a museum or something, not out on the road, thats gonna cause many accidents...

As for the vinyl idea, just get paint, from what ive read on here, id never use the stuff LOL

that gold ferrari is sooo sick. thats basically what i would want but instead of gold a smoked chrome.

I love the gold. Chrome paint is crazy expensive. As for the wrap... Holy cow. That is insanely expensive. I am going to paint my whole car for around $300 (that is with me doing the labor)

Pro wrapper here. Paint is usually cheaper than high quality wrap material. Plus don't plan on it sticking to plastic long, will fail in either months up to a year. Plastics release oil that degrades the adhesive. Have worked with solvents that remove the oil, but nothing found to be failsafe. This is even more of an issue with complex curves such as bumpers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My family owns a tint shop that does vinyl and clear bra, I wonder how much it would be to go through a 3M dealer.

Back