Mattman's First Explorer...What to do! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mattman's First Explorer...What to do!

Here are the Spec's
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
4.0L SOHC V6
5-SPD Auto O/D Trans
15" Rims (Stock)
P235/75R15 BFG All Terrains

Bought it last week from a Grandpa and Grandma bought brand new and garaged all its life. It has 59,200 original miles on it and is immaculate. Everything was maintained very well and I even got the Original Window sticker with all the original sevice records as well!

So far I have just fixed a few things. Lighter was pushed behind dash so I took apart the dash and fixed it. Diagnosed the washer pump was just a blown fuse and re-attached the plastic strip below the bumper.

I am going to hopefully be mod'ing it in the future. More pictures to come hopefully!

Here is the Pic

6773002743_8f65470988.jpg

P1270008 by mattman2248, on Flickr

Here is the Original Sticker Pic

6777496253_885087905f.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75404306@N08/6777496253/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha that door sticker is ridiculous...300+ for a cd player...and 400+ for "leather"

nice x

WOW! What a great find with such low mileage. Hope you didn't pay anywhere near window sticker price. LOL. You will enjoy your new ride.

Welcome to the Forum. You will find lots of great info on here.

How is fishing along the Snake River? I remember as a child going with my dad to visited his friend who owned a shoe store there. He gave us rubber boots and took us fishing along the Snake River. I remember the fishing was good but then I was just a kid. I'm sure lots have changed in the 40+ years.

WOW! What a great find with such low mileage. Hope you didn't pay anywhere near window sticker price. LOL. You will enjoy your new ride.

Welcome to the Forum. You will find lots of great info on here.

How is fishing along the Snake River? I remember as a child going with my dad to visited his friend who owned a shoe store there. He gave us rubber boots and took us fishing along the Snake River. I remember the fishing was good but then I was just a kid. I'm sure lots have changed in the 40+ years.

Actually I didn't pay even close to blue book. I just found the posting w/ no mileage, called to look at it (I was the first) and then saw the mileage and was pretty impressed. He said he was actually going to stop driving (his wife was making him stop) and just wanted to get rid of it. I felt like I was ripping him off, but he got what he asked!

There a lot of awesome spots to fish around the Snake still. It is a bit more crowded, but you just have to try and find your own secret spot that maybe only 3-4 others know about.

Actually I didn't pay even close to blue book. I just found the posting w/ no mileage, called to look at it (I was the first) and then saw the mileage and was pretty impressed. He said he was actually going to stop driving (his wife was making him stop) and just wanted to get rid of it. I felt like I was ripping him off, but he got what he asked!.

Those are usually the best finds. Although, I got mine from a mercedes dealership for a steal.;)

No oil pressure

It has been getting cold out here in good old Idaho and I noticed that when I start the Explorer in the morning I have no oil pressure and the check gauge light comes on. The first time this happened I shut the engine off, checked the oil, it was full, looked for a leak, found none and started it again. I heard no noise, no knocking or pinging, just normal running engine and after a few minutes it just pinged right back to the middle of the gauge. I have read some posts about a bad sending unit so looks like I found my next little project. Any ideas where to get the part? Should I just go to the nearest part store or buy it direct from ford?

Looks like you found a great EX, but as far as a sending unit I wouldnt by the cheapest one out there but its not necessary to get ripped off by Ford either. Id find one from a name brand trusted company.

New Question Cold Start Up

So in the two weeks I have had this rig, I have had three bad start-ups. It has been cold, but it has also been just as cold other days and it starts fine. I will turn it over and it will do its usually jump to around 2,000rpm then drop. It will try and get the rpms back up but it acts like it is going to die until I give it a little gas then it jumps right back to normal. Usually only press on the gas pedal down once, I get to around 2-3000 rpm, and then it starts idling normal. Any ideas? I looked at other posts, but seemed like I couldn't find an answer.

classic vacuum leak

Sounds like a classic vacuum leak to me. Really it could be anywhere. If you can not find it, look under the lower intake manifold. If the blue orings that are recessed into the plastic have gone hard and no longer protrude from the recess in the plastic, this is where your vacuum leak will be.

If you search "Cold start problems" and "00m12" there is plenty of information on this matter.

Basically when your engine starts cold, unmetered air enters the engine via the blue orings. Once your engine warms the orings a little, they expand and then completely seal the gap between the lower intake manifold and the mating surface of the engine, causing your vacuum leak to dissapear and your idle to completely smooth out.;)

Sounds like a classic vacuum leak to me. Really it could be anywhere. If you can not find it, look under the lower intake manifold. If the blue orings that are recessed into the plastic have gone hard and no longer protrude from the recess in the plastic, this is where your vacuum leak will be.

If you search "Cold start problems" and "00m12" there is plenty of information on this matter.

Basically when your engine starts cold, unmetered air enters the engine via the blue orings. Once your engine warms the orings a little, they expand and then completely seal the gap between the lower intake manifold and the mating surface of the engine, causing your vacuum leak to dissapear and your idle to completely smooth out.;)

Could it just be the IAC? I realize that the unmetered air can get through the gasket, but this doesn't happen every morning and the nights around Idaho have been anywhere from 15-30F every night. It seems to me that if it was a vacuum leak it would be happening every morning after a long cold night. All I have to do is rev it once and then it stops. So I start it, it starts sputtering, I rev it and in 2-5 seconds it is idling fine. It doesn't sound exactly like your stating. I will have to check the gap on Friday. I don't get a lot of daylight hours with my job.

Ouch!

Just did my first mileage check, but ouch! 10mpg...wow....these things do suck! Time to get a civic...

Did you pull that round black cap off the IAC and blow out the little filters inside? Mine tends to clog with sand quite easily.

Did you pull that round black cap off the IAC and blow out the little filters inside? Mine tends to clog with sand quite easily.

I will try that this weekend. I don't know if the plugs and wires have been replaced so I might do that as well as try and clean the MAF. What type of cleaner do you use and does the IAC really help you gain mileage?

Not sure about the gas mileage but your idle will become more stable. As for the MAF, I use a throttle body cleaner, just a couple of small squirts. Although some members may disagree and use an actual MAF cleaning product.

Not sure about the gas mileage but your idle will become more stable. As for the MAF, I use a throttle body cleaner, just a couple of small squirts. Although some members may disagree and use an actual MAF cleaning product.

Oh, sorry I thought you were replying about the crappy gas mileage. I think the rough Idle was old gas. The previous owner only drove 200-300 miles about every 6 months. I went through a new tank of gas and haven't had a problem since. I just now have to figure out how to increase my mileage from 10mpg.:exp:

Back