Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap! | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap!

Vehicle: 1992 forest green Ford Explorer 4X4
PICT1418.jpg
(<Frikin Sweet)

Drivetrain: '99 GT-40P 5.0(4.9)L 302----4R70W Automatic
1221256093.jpg

Well i got my engine so i guess its time to start a project thread! The timeline on this is pretty loose. but as soon as possible cause the ole 4.0 is making wierd noises.

EDIT: DO NOT be STUPID like me! Don't get a 2wd drivetrain to go into a 4wd vehicle! The transmission output shaft length is different and will require a full trans teardown to retrofit. Luckily one of the other awesome members of the forum has the parts I need to convert. But you may not be so lucky. I doubt most junkyards would sell you Just the shaft and housing. Would rather you buy the whole transmission.

Plans:
Full teardown and rebuild
Keeping the gt-40's
New gaskets,pistons,cam,bearings,lifters, the works.
Maybe new crank
maybe strokin it
build for future forced induction
Transfer case: Hhhhhhmmmmmmm... maybe bw1354(dont wanna) or 4406 if i can fit it between the frame rails
plans will definitely evolve as we go along

here the pics

1221334906.jpg

1221335383.jpg

1221551771.jpg

1221335658.jpg

cant wait to get this thing runnin!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

man compressing springs in the truck sure is fun! I dont think I will ever do that again... I will take the heads off instead.

ask Comp cams about the springs?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I found the spring pressures for those and I'm going with the higher one.

So If I go with the manual shift version what are my options for shifters?

Got my shifter from an '85 F150 w/NP208 and AOD
Had to cut and reweld the shifter at different angle

NP208ShifterBeforeWeld.jpg

Low range notch in opening
LowRangeCutinTunnel.jpg

Low range
Consolin4L-1.jpg

2H
Consolin2H-1.jpg

2H Drivers P.O.V.
2HDriversPOV-1.jpg

I really don't want to have to go manual but I may have too.

Wow mate you have done a hell of a lot to the car!
I cant believe it looking at the pics, wish I had a place like that to work in.. I know I would be doing the same kinda work to my Explorer!
You lucky man!

Thanks man!

If you were talking to me.

Ahhh, nice! I'd love to do that to my '92. Wonder why I didn't find this thread sooner...

*subscribes*

cause I'm a ninja.

And my posting reflects that stelth-ness.

So, just to clarify my understanding.

How do the autolockers function? Do they require an electric signal?

Will I have to push my 4x4 button And use the manual lever?

No, auto lockers work on torque alone. When torque is applied to the axle the cam inside engages the hub and it is locked. When you back up, it disengages and re-engages in the opposite direction, hence why it is bad to "rock" the vehicle out of hole with auto lockers.

So no electrics are required for them, they work on their own.

once you have a manual t case and maul hubs you will never go back :)

That's how I figured they would work.

I know manual shift is stronger. But this is a street truck. Not much four by four action. Cept during winter(its supposed to snow tomorrow. I want to test my new tires!) and the occasional backwoods stuff.

I'm all for manual lockers. I just haven't bought them yet. But I would like to keep the electric shift cause I have other plans for the transmision hump. Possible second gen or custom Fiberglas console and a b&m shifter.

hey wicked, why does your center console look different than mine?

Is that a '91 thing?

Matt, YES. That is a 1991, Early 1992 thing. My 1992 XL had a single cupholder in it, with a sliding cover to cover the rest of the small storage area (think: Roll-Top Desk). That is the only difference though. That piece comes right out, and the 2 cup hold that is standard in late 1992-1994 goes right in.

Ryan

Oh ok.

More pics in a second.

New rods are purty.

1228812689.jpg

My engine has Bling.

1228811880.jpg

I'm jealous, mine are steel, I like the brass.

hhhm

You would think that steel plugs would run therisk of cold welding or rusting to the block.

I like the brass as well so I coated them in grease before I painted. Only way I could think of to mask them.

Yes, I will paint over mine, they left them bare.

Attachments

• 347 Forged & H-beams.JPG
    347 Forged & H-beams.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,366

Back