Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap! | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap!

Vehicle: 1992 forest green Ford Explorer 4X4
PICT1418.jpg
(<Frikin Sweet)

Drivetrain: '99 GT-40P 5.0(4.9)L 302----4R70W Automatic
1221256093.jpg

Well i got my engine so i guess its time to start a project thread! The timeline on this is pretty loose. but as soon as possible cause the ole 4.0 is making wierd noises.

EDIT: DO NOT be STUPID like me! Don't get a 2wd drivetrain to go into a 4wd vehicle! The transmission output shaft length is different and will require a full trans teardown to retrofit. Luckily one of the other awesome members of the forum has the parts I need to convert. But you may not be so lucky. I doubt most junkyards would sell you Just the shaft and housing. Would rather you buy the whole transmission.

Plans:
Full teardown and rebuild
Keeping the gt-40's
New gaskets,pistons,cam,bearings,lifters, the works.
Maybe new crank
maybe strokin it
build for future forced induction
Transfer case: Hhhhhhmmmmmmm... maybe bw1354(dont wanna) or 4406 if i can fit it between the frame rails
plans will definitely evolve as we go along

here the pics

1221334906.jpg

1221335383.jpg

1221551771.jpg

1221335658.jpg

cant wait to get this thing runnin!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cle-ms590p_w.jpg

bearings ordered from summit racing and on there way.

ever since i installed my tube grille, ive thought it was missing a little something, but couldnt put my finger on it.

i think ive got it figured out:
1229815101.jpg

1229818169.jpg

1229818148.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Bought it from a guy on here. Hard to find. Don't make em anymore.

Called "Lumilogo"

Thanks guys.

If you can find one for sale I say get it. They are cool.

Sweet. Got a tracking number for the tcase. Should be here tomorrow.

Good News:

T-case and bearings have arrived!

This is why UPS sucks:

1230178514.jpg

guy was seriously ROLLING! the box off his truck cause he didn't want to pick it up. i was bout ready to jump on the truck and read him the riot act. but its Christmas eve and he doesn't want to work and its hard to bust this thing anyway (internal parts not-withstanding) so i gave him a break.

This is why Summit Racing Rocks:

1230178546.jpg

I ordered those on Monday and fully expected them to show up next week!

I know you guys said this thing was big but HoLy CrAP!
1230178602.jpg

1230178656.jpg

1230178718.jpg

Bad News:My Stupid Ass may or may not have broken this:
1230178782.jpg

1230178804.jpg

1230179038.jpg

When i was prying the main case apart i thought i heard an ominous "Crack". which may or may not have been this shaft snapping.

i don't think i was putting enough torque on to do this, but perhaps it was flawed or already weakend buy some un-forseen factor.

it is the shaft that turns the shift control cam, which is what moves the mode and range shift forks back and forth. engaging and disengaging the different modes, 4x4, 4x2, low range. part number;1356-122-007 listed as "Motor Shift Shaft"

but even had this been a non flawed shaft, were talking about the most pitiful piece of load-bearing metal i have ever seen in my life.

the shaft starts out as a stout 3/8ths bar stock and narrows at the end, the piece that inserts into the back half of the casing, to a fragile 1/8th!!

WTF was BW thinkin on this? :dunno: :crazy: there is plenty of room to have the full diameter shaft insert into the case but no, they cut it down to this little stub thing.

my dad brought up the idea that it is a designed fail-point to keep the whole case from grenading if something were to bind up big time. which makes a some sense.

any way, the part is cheap, like under 20$. so I'm not sweating it.

More Bad News:as you can see from the pics, though this is listed as coming from a 94 f150, it has no speed sensor gear. so i guess i get to swap some more parts around.

some one mentioned a thread on putting a speedo gear on a non-equipped output shaft. could any one have a link? i will do a search.

Anyway, i want to wish you all a Merry Christmas And a happy new year!

For the Jewish: Happy Hanukkah!
For everyone else: Happy Festivus!

I am glad to call all of you my friends and i hope you all have a safe and enjoyable holiday!

:chug::chug::chug::chug::chug::chug::chug::chug::chug::chug::chug::chug:

Edit:Holy Heck! only 45 min till Santa! i better get to sleep!

kidding

Merry Christmas Matt, your fun parts pile is growing nicely. I have a pair of 99-02 DOHC heads which were packed like that for UPS a couple of years ago. These heads were damaged slightly, they were rolled out of the truck with the boxes crushed.

The packing is what caused 95% of the damage. The items need to be immobile inside of the box, with sufficient packing space between the item and the outer surface. Shipping things like these should be done in much larger containers, like a plastic tub from Walmart. Have fun there, it's good that the broken part is low cost. Regards,

Thanks don,

Another hurdle. Fuel pump. The stocker only can support around 250 hp I think.

I hope to surpass that soon. What are your thoughts?

The stock fuel pump will do fine for your current parts combination. If you add another 50hp or more than you could make a change. I'd wait until the pump needed changing if possible, then go to the Walbro GS340 pump(255 liters/hr). That's the standard high pressure choice that everyone goes with for a return fuel system(pre-1999).

I have a return fuel system.

I contemplated adding a Walbro340 pump too, and I KNOW I will need to at a later time, but to simplify the install, and subsequent troubleshooting, I am upgrading NOTHING Electrical/mechanical until I get the engine in the X up and running.

Ryan

So here's what my dad was wondering.

Can I just add an in-line pump to boost the stock? Or is that silly?

So here's what my dad was wondering.

Can I just add an in-line pump to boost the stock? Or is that silly?

I agree with Ryan, try hard to change as little as possible to get it running. You don't need a different fuel pump yet, and an inline pump wouldn't increase flow enough for any later big horsepower. You would still have to change the in tank pump later. Night,

That's what I figured.

I'll keep it stock for now like your sayin.

kinda slow at the moment. Trans tailhousing/shaft are on there way from jaime.

I just got paid (the first time I wrote that my phone's autocorrect changed it to "laid", I like the way my phone thinks!) so depending on if I can talk the bank into cutting my payments down on the project loan, I may order the parts for the trans rebuild.

If not I'm just gonna buy a new alarm system cause I don't want my stuff jacked again.

It's a little late but happy new year everybody.

hhhmm

my fuel pump may be going out. truck is acting strange. hopefully its just the filter. but if its not, what high flow pumps are available/cheap?

Do NOT go cheap here...

Get the Walbro340. You will pay about $100 on eBay for one.

Ryan

Back