Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap! | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap!

Vehicle: 1992 forest green Ford Explorer 4X4
PICT1418.jpg
(<Frikin Sweet)

Drivetrain: '99 GT-40P 5.0(4.9)L 302----4R70W Automatic
1221256093.jpg

Well i got my engine so i guess its time to start a project thread! The timeline on this is pretty loose. but as soon as possible cause the ole 4.0 is making wierd noises.

EDIT: DO NOT be STUPID like me! Don't get a 2wd drivetrain to go into a 4wd vehicle! The transmission output shaft length is different and will require a full trans teardown to retrofit. Luckily one of the other awesome members of the forum has the parts I need to convert. But you may not be so lucky. I doubt most junkyards would sell you Just the shaft and housing. Would rather you buy the whole transmission.

Plans:
Full teardown and rebuild
Keeping the gt-40's
New gaskets,pistons,cam,bearings,lifters, the works.
Maybe new crank
maybe strokin it
build for future forced induction
Transfer case: Hhhhhhmmmmmmm... maybe bw1354(dont wanna) or 4406 if i can fit it between the frame rails
plans will definitely evolve as we go along

here the pics

1221334906.jpg

1221335383.jpg

1221551771.jpg

1221335658.jpg

cant wait to get this thing runnin!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

agree! my friend Joe bought the Duff long tube headers (Advance Adapters) he had then jet coated, then he went to fit them in his 93 Ex with a Stang HO and AOD-E, they dont fit!
he couldnt return them because he had them coated
He had a HARD time selling them = big loss for him!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Are you using stock cylinder heads? Stock cylinder head volume is rated at 64cc. This would give you around 9.2:1 compression ratio with these pistons.
If you are milling your heads down to 58cc or using aftermarket small volume heads, you will get around 9.8:1.

gt40ps are 58 stock.

And mine have been milled.

Are you using stock cylinder heads? Stock cylinder head volume is rated at 64cc. This would give you around 9.2:1 compression ratio with these pistons.
If you are milling your heads down to 58cc or using aftermarket small volume heads, you will get around 9.8:1.

Let me correct myself. GT-40P are 60cc and GT-40 are 64-65cc.

You should get about 9.5:1 with stock GT-40P heads and these pistons. That will be real nice.

Sounds like you'll be getting this thing together real soon.

Not to discourage you at all, but I had planned to have my truck down for a week as well to do the swap. A year later and it was complete. I had it running shortly after the install that week but it's the little things that bite you in the butt. I even had my wiring harness pre-fabbed and it worked perfectly even still.

Good luck, I hope all goes well.

Yeah I just was searching around and got number all the way from 58-59-61.

No matter I think your right on about 9.5. Sounds good to me.

Hopefully I'll be doin this around mid-late April.

I want to stash a few paychecks before the deal goes down.

Thanks all Of you for your help.

I've been daydreaming about this thing every day for 5 months now.

My freind asked me how come your broke all the time now. I just say "engine".

Oh by the way to anyone who makes my "4x2 trans for a 4x4 swap" mistake.

Or to anyone who concerts a 2wd trans with an AA adapter;

The bolts that fasten the tailhousing to the trans need to be longer on the 4wd adapter.

I stripped out two holes before I realized the 2wd housing bolts were only engaging about 1/4" of thread.

I need to get some of the longer ones from ford.

I don't know if the AA adapter will need them though.

I will try and remember to get those trans pictures up tonight.

before
1233223285.jpg

after, see the tailhousing flange difference?
1233223515.jpg

1233126891.jpg

PICT1497.jpg

PICT1494.jpg

PICT1500.jpg

PICT1505.jpg

PICT1506.jpg

PICT1508.jpg

PICT1509.jpg

PICT1513.jpg

PICT1514.jpg

PICT1515.jpg

PICT1516.jpg

PICT1517.jpg

PICT1518.jpg

PICT1519.jpg

PICT1520.jpg

PICT1521.jpg

PICT1522.jpg

PICT1523.jpg

PICT1524.jpg

PICT1526.jpg

PICT1527.jpg

PICT1528.jpg

PICT1529.jpg

looken good!

this all looks very familiar to me!

Did you plug the oiler hole in the tailhousing for the output shaft? The AA kit should have come with the collar that does so, sp,ething about the AOD had an oiler for the output shaft, our 4r70w doesnt so you must plug the hole, its been a while, but I am sure you know what I am talking about

Nice work!!

but I'm not using the aa adapter.

So I have no hole to plug do I?

my bad LOL I am used to seeing this rebuild to install the adapter not to swap from 2wd to 4wd, wrong thread! LOL

errrrrrr ummmm how about for those of you watching this thread that are doing the AA tailhousing adapter (AOD to BW1350) dont forget to plug the oiler hole! LOL

phew you scared me.

I was thinkin if I have to tear this thing back down again I'm gonna have kick myself.

It's funny how a project can make money dissapear *poof*

Two days ago I had an 850$ tax return.

but no new 4x4 suv with a V8 car payment right? right? right? LOL

I so could have bought a second gen v8 for less money than I've invested so far.

But this is much more fun.

And I like first gen looks.

Might as well have a car payment. Freakin 240$ a month project loan.

How's the sport trac goin anyway?

Email me some pics when you get the chance.

What are my options on radiator hoses?

I'm looking at the universal ones but wondered if there are any molded ones I should try.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing with the 4r70w's 2wd tail stock and shaft? I need one for my AWD to 2wd swap :p: Cool build, though! :thumbsup:

Ryan has first dibs but he said he might not need them.

If not. You can has for shipping.

Back