Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap! | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap!

Vehicle: 1992 forest green Ford Explorer 4X4
PICT1418.jpg
(<Frikin Sweet)

Drivetrain: '99 GT-40P 5.0(4.9)L 302----4R70W Automatic
1221256093.jpg

Well i got my engine so i guess its time to start a project thread! The timeline on this is pretty loose. but as soon as possible cause the ole 4.0 is making wierd noises.

EDIT: DO NOT be STUPID like me! Don't get a 2wd drivetrain to go into a 4wd vehicle! The transmission output shaft length is different and will require a full trans teardown to retrofit. Luckily one of the other awesome members of the forum has the parts I need to convert. But you may not be so lucky. I doubt most junkyards would sell you Just the shaft and housing. Would rather you buy the whole transmission.

Plans:
Full teardown and rebuild
Keeping the gt-40's
New gaskets,pistons,cam,bearings,lifters, the works.
Maybe new crank
maybe strokin it
build for future forced induction
Transfer case: Hhhhhhmmmmmmm... maybe bw1354(dont wanna) or 4406 if i can fit it between the frame rails
plans will definitely evolve as we go along

here the pics

1221334906.jpg

1221335383.jpg

1221551771.jpg

1221335658.jpg

cant wait to get this thing runnin!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ended up not using mine.....I bought an L&L Remote Oil Filter Mount though....

Ryan

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Oh yeah the l&l uses the same threaded adapter as factory.

Well I got my radiator in and some more accel spark plugs and I got the heads bolted down and started on the rockers.

The jacked up journal set me back a ways. I may not be able to get the swap started this week. Maybe next weekend.

We have the same headers, right?

I bought a BUNCH of mandrel bent tubes to modify the headers...

I was thinking of modifying mine, and seeing how that goes...if all goes well, I can modify yours too..if you are interested..

Ryan

if this spacer idea doesn't work out Ill give you a shout.

:eek: O.M.G. Sexy! :eek:

PICT1602.jpg

PICT1605.jpg

PICT1607.jpg

PICT1606.jpg

PICT1608.jpg

PICT1609.jpg

PICT1611.jpg

PICT1610.jpg

PICT1612.jpg

PICT1613.jpg

PICT1617.jpg

PICT1619.jpg

Holy Awesome Powdercoating Batman!

Jon if you want full res versions of those pics for your coating thread or whatever let me know.

Very nice, very.

....it looks alright....

I mean, I've seen better......LOL

That looks really good!

Ryan

wow looks great! I would be to afraid just to put oil in it ha ha its so SHINEY. :cool:.

It's almost a shame to hide a BUNCH of that with all the wires..

Ryan

thanks guys.

This is pathetic. Even ford doesn't have ford parts. You can't just buy a water pump /timing cover bolt set. They want you to bring in the ones You have so they can find some like em. Sept some of mine are gone.

Yes I know, I cherish the good OEM bolts that I still have. Fortunately I had the bolts still with the old WP from my spare 97 302. Only one or two bolts from an ARP kit would match. I'll have to use the others, or find them in the special lengths. I have them at my friend's house with my 347, otherwise I'd measure them for you.

And if I want lower intake manifold bolts I might as well road trip to detroit.

Oh well. I have enough left to mix and match
With the arp set. But is gonna look gheto.

And I'll just have to do without studed heads on my intake.

The ARP intake set is great except for the four end bolts not having studded heads. You need the front two for the coil pack bracket, but I think we can do without the rear two, use the ARP bolts.

Did you buy an intake bolt kit from ARP, if so which one? They are all high dollar, so I went with what I've always wanted, the 12 point SS bolts. The oil pan set I bought cannot work, the pan is too think, so I'll have a lot of spare bolts.

Nah I just got a summit stainless intake kit. I think I'll be able to get away with only one stud.

Whoever powder coated that stuff really knows what there doing. And now you can't start the engine up cuss it looks to good. Just keep it in the garage.

Lol

Back