Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap! | Page 40 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap!

Vehicle: 1992 forest green Ford Explorer 4X4
PICT1418.jpg
(<Frikin Sweet)

Drivetrain: '99 GT-40P 5.0(4.9)L 302----4R70W Automatic
1221256093.jpg

Well i got my engine so i guess its time to start a project thread! The timeline on this is pretty loose. but as soon as possible cause the ole 4.0 is making wierd noises.

EDIT: DO NOT be STUPID like me! Don't get a 2wd drivetrain to go into a 4wd vehicle! The transmission output shaft length is different and will require a full trans teardown to retrofit. Luckily one of the other awesome members of the forum has the parts I need to convert. But you may not be so lucky. I doubt most junkyards would sell you Just the shaft and housing. Would rather you buy the whole transmission.

Plans:
Full teardown and rebuild
Keeping the gt-40's
New gaskets,pistons,cam,bearings,lifters, the works.
Maybe new crank
maybe strokin it
build for future forced induction
Transfer case: Hhhhhhmmmmmmm... maybe bw1354(dont wanna) or 4406 if i can fit it between the frame rails
plans will definitely evolve as we go along

here the pics

1221334906.jpg

1221335383.jpg

1221551771.jpg

1221335658.jpg

cant wait to get this thing runnin!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man i just noticed my carpet looks horrible in that picture. guess its time for a shampoo.

Any way, I just purchased a full set of wiring diagrams from wiring-diagram.com.

I must say this is by far the most complete set of diagrams i have received and alot of them are even color coded.

The pathetic selection of diagrams in my haynes manuals hold not a candle to this stuff, it even has the circuits for the lumbar in the seats!

I definitely recommend!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

And for only three easy payments of $19.95, you too can have your own, high quality, deluxe, fully adjustable wire harness extension station!!!!
1245651539.jpg

Ditto, and I laid mine out in the truck, and all over the place.

Attachments

• Projectthread076.JPG
    Projectthread076.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,146

Well unfortunately guys I didn't get much of anything done this weekend sept messin with that harness.

I got hit with a monster headache Saturday and it fired up again worse Sunday morning at about 4 am and after taking some Codine and stumbling around for a while I didn't have much motivation to do anything.

The wiring gave you that headache. Go at it slowly and only work for short periods at a time. Combine it with other things. My frame harness was the hardest to do, because I didn't have the section going through the floor, it was cut off. I had to make that from another, and there were more wires needed for my ARC shock system. It was interesting.

Wish it was the harness that gave me the headache.

Then I coulda put it down and worked on my trans and the headache woulda gone away.

No I can thank Patrõn, dehydration, and my best friend's not so comfortable to sleep on couch for Saturdays headache.

And I think Sundays was a genuine migraine set off by the aforementioned conditions.

My mom gets visual migraines so I imagine I have some of the genes. And it definitely felt different from your run of the mill headcracker.

The harness is fairly easy, just cut, solder, shrinkwrap, repeat. It acually one of my favorite things to do. Time consuming though.

Unless youean to say the fumes from the solder caused the headache... That could easily have been a factor on the migraine. But I had a headache before I ever started soldering.

On an interesting side note. I found my soldering iron acually gets hot enough to glow red. I mean I knew it got hot but damn.

I did mean the mess of wires, the countless colors. I know about the migraines, my mother and sister have had them occasionally. That's no fun.

Not to poke fun at BOTH of you....but my install is TOTALLY plug and play...

It's GETTING THERE that is the headache!...LOL

I have always gotten bad headaches since I was in a bad accident...I was wearing my seatbelt, and I STILL went through the windshield in my mom's 1989 Ford Tempo (as in Tempo-rarily working LOL)

Ryan

Bah. Humbug.

1245748380.jpg

1245748683.jpg

1245748709.jpg

1245748766.jpg

1245748793.jpg

I Can tell that shifter is going to be fun.

I had a B&M Quicksilver shifter in my Cutlass, it was installed in the Factory Console. The B&M Top plate PERFECTLY fit in recess where the factory plate went. I REALLY liked that shifter.

I have plans to get a console shifter too at some point...

I have been looking at the Aussie Consoles...

Ryan

well the 4r70w is in the truck.

And I now know that It's hard to bench press a transmission with one arm and adjust your Jack stand with the other.

That trans is heavy, I hope it went in without too much cussing.

That trans is heavy, I hope it went in without too much cussing.

lol

Not too much trouble.

Actually I think it went in easier then the a4ld came out.

But my chest is still kinda sore.

Good job!

I helped another boardmember do a trans swap a couple weeks ago, it was an A4LD. That thing feels like it is 2x as HEAVY when it's on your chest! I can't even imagine trying to do a 4R70W/AOD(E) like that!

I'm going to bolt the motor and trans together, and try to drop it in as an assembled unit.

Ryan

Somethin in that ceramicoat stuff stings when you get it on ya.

Back