• Register Today It's free!

Max A/C not blowing harder

goinghunting

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer 4X4 sport
My A/C in not blowing harder when placed in Max A/C. I assumed the selector switch regulates the voltage to the fan motor to increase or decrease the fan speed. The fan would blow harder when moved from panel to Max, now it does not. Is there a switch or something that causes the fan to increase in speed? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NO not really

Well if you put it on Max A/C, it will recirculate the inside air move it thru the evaporator and cool it down, if it's on normal A/C it will pull outside air thru the evaporator and cool it down, It will not change a different speed on the fan but it will increase the volume of air.

Thanks

I was aware of the inside/outside air issue but thought the air blew harder on Max. My dads Ranger definitely blows harder on max. Thank you very much for your input.

I was wrong. I checked the Ranger and it sounds like it is blowing harder because it is using inside air. It in fact is blowing the same. Thanks again.

It sounds like it's blowing harder because the outside-air door closes and all the blower noise comes thru the ducts in MAX A/C mode. In regular A/C mode it closes off the interior section to draw outside air so the noise goes into the cowl and sounds quieter; seems like a slower blower speed but just less noise.

Back