Max tire size on 20" rims for 3rd gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Max tire size on 20" rims for 3rd gen Explorer

I have a 2002 Limited 4WD. I'm looking at upsizing my rims from the stock 16" I currently have. I have a lot of question so please bare with me.

1. What is the lug nut pattern I need on the new 20" rims?

2. What is the max size tire I can put on new rims? As I understand it there is no such thing as a lift kit for third gen Explorers.

3. What do you think about these sizes? 275/45/R20 or 275/55/R20

4. Will bigger tires make the Explorer more stable that the factory orig?

5. Will bigger tires make it noisier?

6. Will bigger tires affect anti-lock brakes?

7. Is there a SuperChip module to reprogram the tire diameter and thus fix any speedometer issues?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome! You will find just about ALL of the answers to your questions by simply searching.
I don't Know the specific numbers in the answers to those questions, but I Know I've read them on here at some point.

1. 5"x4.5" (like all explorers)

4. The wheels are what give a car more stability. So basically the wider the wheel or more backspacing; the more stable it'll feel. But then you run into fitment issues (rubbing).

5. Shouldn't make it noiser - but it may cause premature suspension wear (ie ball joints, wheel bearings) which may cause issues later down the road.

6. The bigger wheels shouldn't effect the ABS at all. If it does, its more than likely a freak accident and that there is actually something wrong with the system. A LOT of people have put bigger tires/wheels on a vehicle and haven't had any issues with ABS. However, you will feel a loss in brake performance due to the heavier/larger mass.

7. Bamachips makes chips for the Explorers - they should be able to correct your speedo. Or you can do what I did and reprogram your computer. This can be done at your dealership.

Search for the rest of the stuff

-Drew

you need to make sure the wheels arent too wide and stuck too far inside the wheelwell, i.e. high backspacing.

also the overall diameter probly shouldnt be greater than 30" or 31" on a stock explorer... and since they dont make lifts for 3rd gens, there you go.

Back