max tire size | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

max tire size

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think most people would agree a 31 X 10.50 is the biggest you can go on a stock explorer with no aftermarket lift. Not sure what the metric equivalent would be. I personally would go to the 15's because the price of tires is much lower for a 15 that an identical size in a 16.

Thanks for the info. Any idea on what size backspacing I would need?

Would 31's require and cutting?

Brakes

I am also debating whether to stay with 16" wheels or to replace them with 15"ers. If I decide to go with the 15" wheels, would I have to replace the calipers and/or rotors? BTW, 265/75 on a 16 is the biggest size you can fit without a lift and fender trimming.:)

3.75" is a good all-around backspacing.

Explorer brakes will fit any 15" rim or larger.

sorry to jump in this post. are 31's the biggest tire i can put on the X with TT and Shackles?

I put 32's with TT and Shackles with only slight trimming in the front. Looks and drives great. Little stiff on the road (32 BFG's) but never had any problems

I just put some 285/60/18's on this weekend and they fit perfect wit h no rubbing. Rims are 18x8 in front with +30mm offset and 18x9 in rear with +30. My front end is lowered 2" and the rear is stock height...for now. Only thing i had to do is zip tie the emergeny brake cable on the drivers side in the rear...it as rubbing the tire pretty good.

if you got risky and want to go the biggest you can go, go with 32's they fit for me and some others. just measure before you put them on or go to a tire shop and test fit them if they let you. i also had to trim just a tad.

Back