MAYBE SOMEONE CAN HELP WITH A 2002 IDLING ISSUE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAYBE SOMEONE CAN HELP WITH A 2002 IDLING ISSUE

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 EXPLORER /'90 Mustang
Hello fellow members, It's great to be back!! I have a 2002 FORD Explorer 09/01 build date in decent shape with the popular, 4.0L SOHC V6... I'm hoping maybe someone might have some answers and :feedback: relating to this very annoying idling Issue that had recently just started.. HISTORY; 1 year ago I was forced to replace the driver side valve cover seal, it was Leaking REALLY Badly at the bottom rear of the Plastic Valve Cover, and the leak was :dead: Dead Center, right on top of the rear exhausts port, and at it's :angryfire: Hottest Spot :angryfire:! PLUS, I found out I had no choice, but to remove the :troops: single upper and lower intake manifold, of course, to gain access to the leaky valve cover, So, since everything was exposed, I changed all seals, including the (6) six port seals, as well as, the passenger side Valve Cover, finished it all up, and everything was fine... Then 1 week ago, Bam, Just like that, My :censored: Explorer Started Stalling!! And So far, unfortunately, all my local Auto Parts Stores are saying the same thing, I have no power at the Code Reader Access Point, :dead: NO 12 volts whatsoever is coming from the "Check Engine Light ACCESS POINT" Some have said there at The Auto Parts Store that the Port is Centered right under the Dash and indeed it is, I saw it for myself, and it has no 12 v. power there, needed for the Handheld Code Readers they all have. Some guys offered up ideas :dunno: that a FUSE is blown somewhere, and is likely the :censored: Culprit to power their Code readers. AS OF NOW, I changed the (ICU) IDLE CONTROL UNIT and the O2 SENSORS. I Cleaned The Entire Intake Track from the (MAF) Mass Air Flow Sensor itself, to the TB Throttle Body Itself, with (CRC) TB cleaner... Thanks for reading.:salute: If you have any ideas that would be awesome, Thanks Again. DJ.

I just had a similar problem, mine was pcm. My odometer would also read ----- when it stalled, would barely run, and no obd2 connection could be made. I got lucky 1 time and a pcm code pulled up but that was it. Check your pcm fuse, swap relay with neighboring relay and swap neighboring diode. This would be a good starting point.

I just had a similar problem, mine was pcm. My odometer would also read ----- when it stalled, would barely run, and no obd2 connection could be made. I got lucky 1 time and a pcm code pulled up but that was it. Check your pcm fuse, swap relay with neighboring relay and swap neighboring diode. This would be a good starting point.
Thanks Elliott Hopson. I really appreciate your feedback. I agree, that is a good starting point. I'm going too try that next, Have a good day my friend. I'll post what I run into. DJ

:chug:(UPDATE: On a 2002 4.0L SOHC EXPLORER) What's up Ford Fans!! Well I finally found out what was causing my idling issues on my 2002 4.0 SOHC Explorer Eddie Bauer edition. The poor Idling issues were indeed the result of a bad MAF sensor. I went ahead and replaced it with a factory MAF sensor and it Idled perfect.

Back