Mazda Manual Transmission Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mazda Manual Transmission Question

jschreiber

Reaction score
I have replaced the cluch on my 1992 Ranger, but when I removed my Shifter Lever from the transmission I discovered that the Blue Nylon Bushings that seat around the ball at the top of the transmission housing were deteriorating and would have to be replaced.

I have replaced the top half ( the boot side of the ball), but am confused as to how to get the bottom half installed. There are 2 Pivot Pins that are preventing me from getting this bushing installed, they look like they may be pressed in to the casting. Neither the Haynes nor the Chilton manuals for the Ford Ranger make any mention of this bushing or how either half should be replaced if neccesary. Out of curiosity I looked at the Mazda Truck Haynes manual (as it should have the same Tranny) that covers the same model year and it does show one half of the bushing in an exploded view of the transmission, but does not address it anywhere I can find in the Manual.

Has anyone replaced these bushings? Any imput would be appreciated.

Well dispite all the imput I have been given I figured it out. The Pins are pressed into the top cover casting of the Transmission, and staked in place to keep them from popping out. I used a L shaped piece of Aluminum to but up against the the pin and drove it out, I suppose one could use a punch, but I feared bending the pin. If you have a sloppy shifter ( I did have difficulty shifting into 1st and Reverse) you may bad bushings. I paid about $18 for the pair, and could only find them at the Stealer. Here is a link that provides the Part Number

https://fordparts.com/cart/?pn=1l2z-7228-aa&submit=Search

Hope this info helps someone else out.

Just saw your post when I replaced mine I just shoved it in with force. It was much easier cause I had the tranny out. would have been a PIA to do it inside the truck.

Back