Me and my Mods… | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

craftsman67

Reaction score
City, State
Willow Spring NC.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
After replacing my parking brake shoes, I wanted to make sure I didn't drive off with the brake on, like I've done so many times in the past. I just don't notice the brake light on the dash until it's too late sometimes. Well, I know it's been done before, so I decided I could install a blinking led to let me know that the brake is still on before I drive off. I found some on ebay (sold as a theft deterrent somehow). I mounted one in the radio bezel after testing it's function. I ran the positive wire from the green/red wire just off the switch at the parking brake pedal, thinking it would flash when I depress the parking brake. Instead it was the opposite…it stayed blinking when I let off the brake. So I thought since the Brake light came on in the cluster when the pedal was depressed, I could attach it to the light behind the cluster…Well, I did with the same results as I had at the switch from the pedal…blinking when the brake light is not on... In the mean time I blew a couple fuses and replaced them. Everything in the cluster was working as it should for a while. After some more tinkering (don't ask me what I did exactly) I noticed the Brake light, ABS light, Check Engine light, would not come on. They would they light up at start up. The Fuel Gauge climbed to way past the full mark, and strangely enough the power door lock switches won't work the actuators, but I can here the switch relay kick in when I try. My key fob to my aftermarket keyless entry still works fine. I recently snagged all the fuse's and relay's from a salvaged Explorer when I went to pick another part, so I replaced, or moved everything around, with the same results…even the ones under the dash and hood. I had been thinking that I must have fried something in the cluster, but how can I explain the door lock issue? Any ideas???

Back