Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greer, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
Hey guys,

I'm designing a new transmission crossmember. So I took measurements between the frame rails where the transmission crossmember is. I measured the width inside the rails as well as the distance from inner drivers side to mounting bolts on the crossmember. Also the distance from inside the drivers rail to the passenger edge of the transfer case flange. I went to mock everything up in Solidworks and it just looks plain wrong. On top of it, I'm letting my friend borrow the ST while his Super Duty is in the shop so I can't get measurements on it.

Would someone be able to maybe take down those measurements for me so I can get this squared away? I'd be very grateful!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you just need the measurement of the tranny cross member length between the rails? if nobody chimes in by tomorrow morning, ill slide under and get it for you.

Ill measure it up after work and let you know. I'll be making my own crossmember and under belly skid plate as well when I do my SAS.

Thanks guys. Length of the x member, the mounting bolts and from the pass side of the transfer case flange to the drivers side rail. My plan is to use dual 1.5" tubing bent the same and then a mounting plate mounted on top of them I. The middle for the tranny to bolt up to.

Width of frame is 33.5", if welding the round tube to the bottom torsion bar plate then the width is 34". From the outside of the frame rail to the trans mount bolts are 15 3/4" on either side do the trans mount is centered in the frame. The distance between bolts on the trans mount is 3". What did you mean by transfer case flange? Message me your phone number and I can text you the pictures, it's too much of a pain to upload to my computer then to photobucket then to here.

Thanks a bunch for the measurements. Thats about what I got. I'll play around with the CAD software later this week when I get time again and upload a pic of what I'm thinking.

thanks rebel, just got home, and you saved me a trip under my truck! solidworks is awesome, but it can be a bit of a diva sometimes.

Alright guys, here's the design I came up with. I finally got my truck back and now I can tweak a couple measurements but here's the idea. I think the height from the bottom of the frame rail on the passenger side to the bottom of the t-case is a little different but I think this will all clear the t-case and front driveshaft/yoke.

TransmissionX-Member_zpse71c1d17.jpg

Looks alot bigger on a computer screen then on my phone, lol. Like I suggested I would add gussets to the frame rails and connect the tubes on the bends and on the right side straight section.

Sorry for kind of dropping this thread, but it looks like I could get this done this weekend.
I've made a few changes and have a couple more questions. I want to have dual 2" tube with a plate in the middle that bolts to the transmission. Problem is the tube bender is limited to 1/8" wall thickness. Would it be better to go with say dual 2x2 square with a 3/16" wall and use mitered corners instead or maybe several angles to get a "bend"?

This is sort of what I'm going for. And any ideas or criticisms are welcome. I'm just getting into fab work so not the brightest in this area.

RevIsoView_zps2e797089.jpg

IsoView_zps15d9006f.jpg

You can use 2x2 3/16" thick tubing for the crossmember, it would be more time consuming but if you can't bend the round tube then work with what you have. If you really want to use the round tube you can heat it up on the bends while bending it. You may want to add a gusset on each side of the tubelike you have on the top but on the side just for added strength, hit a boulder and it'll help.

The top gussets are a good idea. Do you think 1/8" round would be strong enough? I think the diameter would be more important than the thickness for distributing stress.

Back