measuring for rear dshaft length

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
apparently the SOA and full length add a leaf were too much for the rear dshaft.. locked my brakes in traffic going downhill and the rear slip seperated causing the front and rear shaft sections to beat the crap out of the underside of the truck. removed and drove home using the front axle. going to get a used shaft from a yard monday, but now that i know i need to lengthen my rear shaft how do i go about to get the 'best guesstimate' on how much to add?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go see our local driveline shop. Theres no guestimating with driveshafts.

Remove drive shaft. Measure from the transmission flange to the diff yoke flange. That is your length. Take to a drive shaft shop, give them measurement and have them make you a new shaft.

Remove drive shaft. Measure from the transmission flange to the diff yoke flange. That is your length. Take to a drive shaft shop, give them measurement and have them make you a new shaft.

thats what i figured.. just wasnt sure if there was anything else I need to do to compensate for the slip.. i.e. should i set the splines half in the front section half out.. im confusing myself, hopefully someone knows what i mean.

if its as simple as measuring the distance between the flanges at ride height thats awesome.. hoping to find a cheap used shaft tomorrow

thanks for the replies!

thats what i figured.. just wasnt sure if there was anything else I need to do to compensate for the slip.. i.e. should i set the splines half in the front section half out.. im confusing myself, hopefully someone knows what i mean.

if its as simple as measuring the distance between the flanges at ride height thats awesome.. hoping to find a cheap used shaft tomorrow

thanks for the replies!
I know what you mean, but it is that simple. Four bolts front and four bolts rear, tape measure three or four times to make sure you got it right, and that is it. A good drive shaft shop will ask you where you measured from.

Back